In today’s blog, I am going to explain the scenario of a missing report.
Issue: Publish is successful from Power BI Desktop but when we go to the workspace, the report is not there. There was no error message. However, if you upload a report using 'Get Data' in Power BI Service, the publish is successful. The issue began when work from home started.
A proxy or VPN was not involved.
Resolution: If you feel that the client (here, Power BI Desktop) is doing its job, but the packets are dropping somewhere in the network before reaching its destination (here: Power BI Service). For confirmation, you can also capture logs and check if there are any errors in the network traces (using Network Monitor or Wireshark). In this kind of scenario, there will be no errors captured.
Please follow the steps to resolve such issues:
1. Go to Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network Connections. You will see the following window:
2. Right-click on your Network connection. In this case, Wi-Fi. Click on Properties.
3. The following window will open, once you click on "Properties". Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)". Click on Properties. Please find the screenshot below for reference:
4. After clicking on Properties, you will see the following window. Click on Advanced.
5. By default, automatic metric is checked.
6. We need to uncheck Automatic metric and pass the value 10 to the interface metric. Click on "OK".
7. Relaunch Power BI Desktop.
Cause: The metric can be considered analogous to a channel. Selecting "Automatic metric" means that every application will calculate a metric through which its packets would pass in the network. In case of "Automatic metric", Windows 10 will also calculate a metric. For successful communication, metrics calculated by the application must match the metric calculated by Windows 10. In case of a mismatch, the packets will never reach the intended channel of communication. Hence the failure. In case of a static metric being passed in the "Interface Metric" field, the metric calculation will not happen and hence the communication will be successful.
You can also try this solution for other similar scenarios.