Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EnterpriseDNA

High-Quality Business Insights Around Revenues & Margins - Power BI Analysis

Power BI is an incredible analytical tool that helps you get high-quality insights from your reports and helps you make better decisions for your business. Unlike other tools out there, Power BI helps you make your reports fast and easy. You can showcase off your analysis effectively and in a visually compelling way. 

In this post, I share with you some of my advanced business analytics tutorials on revenues and margins. The examples that I use in these tutorials are real-world scenarios, which you can learn from. I demonstrate various techniques that you can use inside of Power BI to get amazing business insights. I dive into DAX formulas, measure branching, data modeling, and data visualization. 

The first tutorial is about analyzing the profitability of revenue growth. This is important to understand for a business because growth in revenue that is not profitable is a waste of time. There’s no point in revenue growth when your profits aren’t growing. 

Through the example in this tutorial, you’ll see how effective Power BI is for this type of analysis. I solve this in a holistic way. I work out the overall revenue growth and overall profit growth of the company. Moreover, I break it down by customer to see which customers are not contributing many profits. 

I put some advanced logic in to determine which of the profit growths are above and below 0 dollars from a customer perspective. I analyze all the customers and see which profits have increased and which ones have decreased. And then, I use a scatter chart to visualize this insight effectively. 

p28-1.png

Another high-quality business insight that I generated from a Power BI analysis is finding out if margins expand as revenue grows. Are profit margins growing together with the revenue? I demonstrate how to work this out in this next tutorial. I run attribution over the selling performance in a scalable way using the measure branching technique. 

This insight is important to see if revenue expansion or getting the market share is good from a profitability perspective. Are the margins improving or is the increase in revenue only saturating the market? Are everyone’s margins contracting? 

I place the analysis in a scatter chart visualization and use its analytics function. I put a lot of details in the report tool tip, making a very comprehensive analysis as to why there’s revenue growth but a decrease in margins with some customers. This analysis is on a year on year (YoY) perspective, but you can also do this on a month on month (MoM) perspective. 

p28-2.png

If you want to go deeper into this analysis around whether your margins are expanding or contracting, check out this next tutorial that I share here. This is another great way of highlighting the analytical power of Power BI. Learn how to show if margins are changing through time. 

In this tutorial, I did a trend analysis, specifically on products. I go through the process of writing the core measures to branching out into calculations that provide the desired results. This is a great insight for business as a key indicator of sales performance. This can generate huge value and discussions within organizations. 

p28-3.png

In addition to these business insights, I previously mentioned, another analysis you might want to do is on the changes of your profit margins through time. There are many ways that this could impact margins, such as promotional activities or sales team changes, and I demonstrate how to do this analysis in this tutorial. 

In this tutorial, I start from scratch, then build up measures and visualize the results. 

p28-4.png

Key Take Away

In the past, these high-quality business insights would have been difficult to generate in a scalable way. But with Power BI, you can do this within minutes. These are just a few examples of real-world scenario business analyses that you can learn from. You can certainly apply the same techniques to your own work. 

Here I showed you some advanced Power BI techniques, including measure branching, DAX combinations, data modeling, and visualization. If you can understand the techniques that I go through in the tutorials, you can develop some high-quality analyses in your own models and Power BI reports. 

Check out the links below for more advanced analytics techniques in Power BI. 

***** Related Links ***** 
Discover Where Your Profit Growth Comes From: A Power BI Tutorial 
Measure Branching – The Most Important Concept When Using DAX In Power BI 
Calculating Percent Profit Margins Using DAX In Power BI 

***** Related Course Modules ***** 
Business Analytics Series 
Solving Analytical Scenarios w/Power BI & DAX 
Mastering DAX Calculations 

***** Related Support Forum Posts ***** 
Power BI DAX Dynamic Ranking 
Outlier Sales LY Visual 
Incorrect Totals – Aggregated Full Amount 
For more profit margin support queries to review see here….