Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

EnterpriseDNA

Fixing Total Errors In Power BI - I Know It Can Be Frustrating

With today's post I wanted to run through some examples of how you can solve errors in your totals within Power BI.

Via the Enterprise DNA Support Forum, I get to see a lot of issues and requests that users who are working in Power BI Desktop have. I would say, that likely one of the biggest issues is with totals - understanding why you're receiving certain total results and how you can actually fix these.

The key thing to think about especially with totals inside of Power BI is the context of the particular total where you're receiving the error or incorrect result. This may sound simple but this is usually where the misunderstanding occurs.

Once you understand what the context is then it becomes much easier to create logic that will fix up the error or give you the particular result that you want. (The trick here is sometimes there is no context at all and that's where it can be a little tricky.)

The first example is a perfect one to review to understand more about the logic behind totals. Plus, a simple technique around how you can fix them.

In this second example, we're going to get a bit more complex. You can write some complex formulas inside of Power BI and understanding how the totals are calculated for these can sometimes be a little bit more difficult.

So this is what this particular example is all about, how you can start creating logic around totals for even more advanced and complex formulas.

It's a really good one to review especially if you have some of these issues in your own analysis. This is a really key topic for high-quality development inside of Power BI.

This is clearly one of the tougher things to solve in Power BI, especially with advanced DAX functions. Invariably, you'll have some sort of total error and you'll need to work out a way to create the accurate logic to correct it. Also, you'll want to make sure the results that you're seeing are precise and what the consumers of your reports would expect.

Enjoy the content!

Sam

**** Learning Power BI? ****

FREE COURSE - Ultimate Beginners Guide To Power BI

FREE COURSE - Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX

FREE - 60 Page DAX Reference Guide Download

FREE - Power BI Resources

Enterprise DNA Membership

Enterprise DNA Online

Comments

Hi,

I am facing issue ragarding underlaying data ,when i exporting underlaying data some of the columns are missing (used chart is Clustered bar chart),here i have used three columns among the three columns one column is measured column,here nearly have 15 columns but 9 columns only displaying in excel.what is the reason any one can help me pls.

gettting this error message while trying to upload access database for practice session . can anyone offer solution?

DataSource.NotFound: Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read 'PowerBI.accdb'. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.