Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nolock

Display Folder Property in Power BI Desktop

I used to work on a full-text search engine. Back then, we often paraphrased a famous Albert Einstein’s quote “Organized people are just too lazy to search”.

In Power BI Desktop you can search for tables and columns within your model. Because the searched space is tiny, you can use all the fancy stuff like infix search, for example. It works amazingly!

1.PNG

But I am an organized person and I don’t like searching. I prefer order to disorder! But that’s not easy if you have a table with many columns. Therefore, I am very happy that I can group columns of a table in the Power BI Desktop like on the following screenshot.

2.PNG

How to do that? Open Power BI Desktop, go to the Model view, click on a field among Fields and set Display folder. If you want to create a hierarchy of folders, delimiter parts of your path with a backslash like “battery\properties”.

3.PNG

When searching, you also see your hierarchical structure.

4.PNG

Comments

Hi @Nolock ,

Just wanted to know whether this can be done if the data source is Power bi service dataset or SSAS.

Hello @AishwariyaV,

it must be set up in the dataset file, not in a report PBIX file using a live connection.

Hi @Nolock ,

Thank you for the reply.

"It must be set up in the dataset file" means we have to do it in the model itself ?

I am using power bi dataset as a data source in desktop. That dataset is connected to SSAS. 

Hi @AishwariyaV,

yes, in your dataset. You even don't see the menu in Power BI Desktop if you are connected via a live connection.