Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EnterpriseDNA

Data Modelling In Power BI: Helpful Tips & Best Practices

In this blog, you’ll learn valuable tips and best practices for building your data model in Power BI. Data modelling is one of the four pillars of Power BI report development. It allows you to connect different data tables in your Power BI report by creating relationships between them. 

Developing your data modelling skills will greatly improve your reports and outputs. So, I’m going to show you a proven method to develop reports efficiently and easily. 

Understanding the basics of data modeling helps you make sure you’re getting the right results in your reports. It will save you the frustration of trying to find the root cause of errors that might result from the wrong relationships. To better understand this concept, I’m going to share with you some of my tutorials around data modeling in Power BI.  

The first tutorial is especially for beginners who have no Power BI experience and were previously working on Excel. If you are a Power BI beginner, then this tutorial is best for you. The modeling area will be completely unfamiliar to you. It’s important that you understand data modeling because it is crucial in developing anything within Power BI. 

2021-07-26 (2).png

This is very basic in Power BI, but it’s vital that you master this because it can make or break your calculations later. Here’s the full video tutorial. 

Now that you understand what data modeling is and why creating correct relationships is imperative, let’s dive into the actual building of correct data model relationships. You’ll see in this next tutorial how to set up one-to-many relationships in the data model. 

2021-07-26 (4).png

Watch the full video tutorial below to learn how to do this efficiently. 

When setting up your data model, start by organizing your tables. As you can see in the tutorials I’ve mentioned above, one of the best ways to do this is by using the Waterfall technique. Another way to do this effectively is by using the Star Schema approach. You’ll see in the next tutorial how to do this. 

2021-07-26 (8).png

In this tutorial, you’ll also learn how to edit relationships from one-to-many to many-to-one. Moreover, you’ll find great tips and best practices in organizing data model relationships, using active and inactive relationships, and using measure tables. 

Key Take Away 

Data modeling is one of the foundations of your Power BI reports, so it’s important to set it up correctly. It’s crucial to create a well-developed data model to help you fully communicate your organization’s information. Data modeling helps you optimize your tables and columns. Doing it right will save you so much time.

These tips and best practices will help you create a more organized model, making it easier for you to understand the relationships in your data set. Once you’ve fully grasped how to set up data models, you can easily create intuitive and meaningful Power BI reports. 

All the best! 

Sam 

***** Related Links ***** 

Building Your Data Model Relationships In Power BI 

How To Organize Your Power BI Data Model – Best Practice Tips 

Active And Inactive Data Relationships In Power BI 

***** Related Course Modules***** 

Advanced Data Transformations & Modeling 

Power BI Super Users Workshop 

Ultimate Beginners Guide to Power BI 

***** Related Support Forum Posts ***** 

Lose Measures And Reports When I Import A Data Model 

Data Modelling? 

Quick Book Online Data Modelling 

For more data modelling support queries to review see here…. 

Comments