Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drubiolo

Connecting AAS to ADLSg2 with Blob API

In the datacenters West US 2 and West Central US there’s now a public preview available for "Multi-Protocol Access" on Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2. So, Blob APIs now work with accounts that have a hierarchical namespace. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/data-lake-storage-multi-protocol-access for additional details.

This means that now AAS can use, for example, Blob API to access files in ADLSg2. Here’s an example how:

(1) in your Tabular project, select "Import from Data Source":F01.png

F02.png

(2) from the Azure Portal, take the URL for “Primary Blob Service Endpoint” in the “Properties” pane of your Storage Account gen2 (assuming you already created one):F3.png

(3) again from Azure Portal, take the “Key” (Key1) value from the “Access Keys” pane of your Storage Account gen2:F04.png

(4) select the folder, and click the “Edit” button (assuming you already have folders with files):F05.png

(5) click on the file you want (blue link on the "Content" column), to access its contents:F06.png

(6) Do any transformations you need (i.e. here we remove Blank rows):F07.png

F08.png

F09.png

(7) click “Import”:F10.png

F11.png

I hope this was useful... Enjoy!!

Comments

Super useful. Thanks for sharing!

Now I have tried - using Power BI dataflows - to access a Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 account in:

West Europe, North Europe

But I get the following error:

Error from external service: DataSource.Error: AzureBlobs failed to get contents from 'https://xyz.blob.core.windows.net/'. Status code: 400, description: 'Blob API is not yet supported for hierarchical namespace accounts.'.

So I guees the features is still only supported in US regions?

Thanks for this post. Finally got around to trying out  Power BI dataflows and importing the CDM folders into AAS. Works well, just needed to stitch the headers out of the Model.json file and append it to the CSV data.