Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nolock

Compare 2 Files Line by Line in Power Query

Imagine the following scenario: You have migrated a report from an old system to the great Power BI and a tester reports a bug in the new report. But the tester does not describe the exact cause, they just export a CSV file from both systems and say that the numbers are not the same. And it is your task to find out what the problem is and, of course, you have to fix it. The first step is to uncover the differences. Earlier, I used Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code for comparing CSV files but nowadays I use Power Query for that!

There are many tools which compare two files line by line like Notepad++, Visual Studio Code or many others. But they are designed to compare code lines and not to search for differences in huge CSV files. You also have to sort both CSV files before you start comparing them. That all is a lot of work and the result is unreliable. Let’s take a look at a Power Query solution.

The How-To Part

What I suggest is the following: I import both CSV files into Power Query Editor in Excel, merge them by their keys and compare all corresponding columns.

First, you have to import both files in Power Query in Excel. Open the ribbon Data and click on From Text/CSV in the left upper corner. After you choose a file, the following window gets opened.

1.PNG

Do not click on the button Load but use the button Edit instead. It takes you to Power Query Editor.

2.PNG

Next, you import the second file you want to compare. As you can see in the screenshot below, there are two options how to do that. Either you right-click in the space under the previous query or you use the ribbon Home and click on the New Source.

3.PNG

After the import of the second file you should see two queries.

4.PNG

The next step is merging these two files. I recommend using Merge Queries as New because we will create a new query and our source files will stay unchanged. You can later merge these source files in different ways if needed.

5.PNG

In the Merge mask, you can define what kind of JOIN should be used. In this scenario, the full outer join is the recommended choice. It guarantees that you see the not matching records of both files.

6.PNG

I often rename the columns in a form like on the following screenshot. It improves the readability of the result.

7.PNG

One of the last steps is creating a new custom column which compares corresponding old and new columns. The new column called IsAnyDifference equals True if there is any difference between Old.Name and New.Name OR between Old.Count and New.Count.

8A.PNG

… and some examples of the new column. As you can see, I do not care about the data type of the new custom column.

8B.PNG

As the last step, select only rows which have IsAnyDifference = True.

9.PNG

After you have applied the filter, you only see rows which contain some differences between the old and the new file.

10.PNG

How simple, right?

Comments

Hi @Nolock ,

This is superb solution to compare two files.

Is there any way to compare current month file with history files (slected month)?

any tips and tricks will help my requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Muni.

Hello @munirathnam,

you can compare any 2 tables with this approach.

If you think, I have understood you wrong, please describe your problem in detail.

Thank you so much for this solution. It is exactly what I was looking for 🙂 

Regards, Maria from Denmark

Hi,

Is it possible to do the same thing but comparing multiple files side by side?