Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TaylorNathan

Bringing the Awesomeness of Power BI to School Children

This past May, I had the opportunity to show a class of kindergarteners how Power BI can be used to report survey results.  Their teacher, Ms. Fiorenzi, had just completed a lesson about data collection.  As part of the lesson, each student had to ask several other students what kind of vacation activity they preferred from a list of three choices:  camping, the beach, or an amusement park.  Also, each student wrote down whether the student they asked was a boy or a girl. 

All of the data was compiled a week before my visit and sent to me ahead of time.  I built out a few sample reports which I shared with the teacher to get feedback on which visual would be most appropriate for the class.  I was reminded that given the limited attention span of the students, I had to keep it short and entertaining.  So we settled on a straightforward design with a donut chart (kids love donuts, even the chart variety), a few graphics, and one slicer.  I also found a great YouTube video for kids (hey, adults might learn something too) about the Scientific Method.  I planned to deliver the presentation within a ten-minute timeframe.

Scientific Method:  Does water help a plant grow faster compared to sunshine alone?Scientific Method: Does water help a plant grow faster compared to sunshine alone?

On the day of the presentation, I had arranged for a member from the school’s IT team to meet me in the classroom just to make sure I could get connected to the classroom projector and sound system.  I always carry a spare HDMI and VGA which I needed for the projector.  The presentation started with the teacher reminding the students about the data they collected a few weeks prior.  I showed them the scientist method video, followed by a quick round of questions about data collection. 

Talking about the Scientific MethodTalking about the Scientific Method

I then built the Power BI report, as fast as possible.  Then, before we used the slicer, I asked the students to hypothesize (of course we spent a few moments defining a “hypothesis”) which groups, boys or girls, would prefer one type of vacation activity over the others.  After listening to a few comments from the students, I showed them how the slicer works and the results.

We ended the presentation by talking about how to enhance the survey with additional questions.  We also talked about donut charts, pie charts, and why there isn’t a “corn dog” chart 😊 

~ Nathan Patrick Taylor (a.k.a. Zachary’s Dad)

Ms. Fiorenzi, Zachary, and his dad (me)Ms. Fiorenzi, Zachary, and his dad (me)

Comments

Power BI is one of the best user pleasant device to connect all kinds of information units and convey all of it collectively in one location that could provide commercial enterprise proprietors additional sales and higher their income margin with the intention to surpass their competition. if you want to be certainly one of them and need to research more about electricity BI and its capabilities, Academic Essay Writing Service

Power BI is the great tool and bringing the awesomeness of Power BI to school children and it does a few things well done like information arrangement errand. Likewise, Power BI has huge prebuilt representations. What I don't care for about Power BI will be its rigidity. Uk essay writers Everything is so static on it and in the event that you dive deep, it's not all that great like it's rivals. I trust that Microsoft will change this in the future.

Power BI is the considerable apparatus and conveying the greatness of Power BI to class youngsters and it completes a couple of things well done like data course of action errand. In like manner, Power BI has colossal prebuilt portrayals. What I couldn't care less for about Power BI will be its unbending nature. Essay Writer Everything is so static on it and if you plunge profound, it's not too incredible like it's opponents. I assume that Microsoft will change this later on.

The homework helpers at StudentsAssignmentHelp.com continue giving amazing Essay Help Sydney services to all the students in Australia. Our writers can finish any kind of essay writings for the students and make sure all your request proceeds effectively.

Best Article I have Read on this blog about Bringing the Awesomeness of Power BI to School Children

show box apk

This article is actually remarkable one it helps many new users that desire to read always the best stuff.

iCloud login

This article is actually remarkable one it helps many new users thanks very much

plombier colombes

On the off chance that your psyche is made up and moving here is your solitary choice then one thing you have to do is locate a tuition-based school for your children. That is whether buy essay today they are school age. Government funded school is educated in Spanish (so ideally your children are completely bi-lingual if private English encouraging school is distant)

happy new year 2019 wishes ce if you want to apologize to someone for something. Then this the best time that you can use. And since New Year 2019 is just a couple of days away. So we do believe that we need to start planning for it. As you obviously don’t want to spend your new year night be being at home as usual. Instead, you would like to go outside hav happy new year 2019 messages

MycfaVisit If you are the regular visitor of the Chick-Fil-A restaurant, already you hear about the survey conducted by the restaurant and how you feel if you have a free delicious Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich on your next step, now its effortless way to earn extra free food.

nice post thanks

vitrier clichy

how to install Hip Store on our newly launch iphone xs

Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information... hotmail email login