Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EnterpriseDNA

A Variety of Budgeting Examples for Power BI

Today, I want to run through a few different budgeting techniques and examples that you can use in Power BI.

Running budgeting analysis in Power BI can sometimes become complex and difficult. The biggest reason is that a lot of times you're dealing with data at different granularities.

What I mean is you might have a fact table which has data at every single day. But then your budgeting data is at every single month or every single year. To match up these two data sets inside of Power BI takes a few different modeling and formula techniques. You must do a number of things well in order to get this working and this is what I want to cover with these particular tutorials.

The first tutorial is an introduction to budgeting and some examples that you can utilize.

I dive into things you need to think about when you start off with data at different granularities. This includes the data model setup and methodology around budget allocations.

'Budget Allocations' is absolutely a key concept that can be reused across many budgeting and forecasting scenarios. It's something that you will want to understand well.

In the next example, I will show you how you can utilize a variation on the budget allocation theory. Here, we are dealing with monthly budgets and we need to adjust our allocation in order to cater to the budget needed for each day.

I've already shown you a yearly allocation budget. This one is all about monthly budgets and there are slight differences around the formula techniques that you need.

There could also be slight adjustments necessary for you to successfully implement the logic inside of your models and to visualize these results seamlessly into your reports, but this will give a great head start.

In this last example, we will take it up another level. We will showcase our budgets cumulatively versus our actual results.

Cumulative totals are the best way to showcase trends and divergences between your actuals and your forecasts. But to showcase your budgets cumulatively takes a bit more effort and knowledge around the formulas to implement.

You cannot utilize the standard cumulative totals pattern inside of Power BI, so you have to think deeper around what formula will enable you to showcase and visualize the comparison really well. That's what this tutorial is all about.

I dive deep into iterating functions and how you can combine a few table functions within these iterating functions to get the right results and showcase them successfully.

I am confident you'll learn a lot from these tutorials. They are quite detailed (they must be) because budgeting inside Power BI is just not that easy. It takes a lot of knowledge around data models and a range of different ideas around combining DAX formulas.

Hopefully, you can take a lot from these ideas and now understand the techniques and concepts required to run the budgeting and forecasting analysis across your own data.

All the best,

Sam

**** Learning Power BI? ****

FREE COURSE - Ultimate Beginners Guide To Power BI

FREE COURSE - Ultimate Beginners Guide To DAX

FREE - 60 Page DAX Reference Guide Download

FREE - Power BI Resources

Enterprise DNA Membership

Enterprise DNA Online

Comments

Hopefully, you can take a lot from these ideas and now understand the techniques and concepts required to run the budgeting and forecasting analysis across your own data.