Highlighted
Accepted Solution

ARCHIVED: Can the Power BI Team be clear regarding license of Power BI

[ Edited ]

It's been 5 days since Power BI is out of Preview mode. I have been facing several issue regarding licensing of Power BI as given below for different scenario:

Scneario 1. I already had Power BI for Office 365 licence earlier. Do I need to again purchase a new license for Power BI Pro? But when I logged in to Power BI, it already displays as Pro User

e11.png

Scenario 2. I am already subscribed to Power BI since 5 months. Now it shows as "Try free for 60 Days" at the right corner in Settings-->Manage Personal Storage. So I clikced and got free trial. Hence now it shows as

e3.png

But now when I click on Purchase in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/pricing it show the following

e1.png

So how can I upgrade to Pro ?

Scenario 3. I created another free account of my colleague and it shows free account as given below

e4.png

Still when I tried puchasing under pricing it gives me same error

e5.png

So what's the real scenario? What rights do Pro users have. Even other users like me are confused about the licensing.

Find similar thread on this here. Please help us understand what rights do user have in respect with free and Pro user.

If I share a dashboard from Pro account to free user account, do the free user need to procure license to view the dashboard???? 

Accepted Solutions
Power BI Team

Re: Can the Power BI Team be clear regarding license of Power BI

Here are some answers:

• Power BI for Office 365 user licenses are treated the same as Power BI Pro in the new Power BI.  Read more at microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/licensing.aspx
  • If you are already a Pro user, you should not be prompted to start the free trial of Pro.  I am not sure why you saw that prompt, but I will investigate.  But regardless of whether Manage Storage shows "Pro User" or "Pro Trial User" you will be able to use all Pro features.
  • Regarding the purchase of Power BI Pro, that message indicates you have a subscription in your tenant that isn't compatible with Power BI Pro.  If you direct message me your email address I will be able to look it up and provide better guidance here.
  • If you share a dashboard from a Pro user to a Free user, the Free user will be able to view it as long as that dashboard doesn't use any Pro features (e.g. on-prem data sources with refresh, direct query to AS Tabular models).

View solution in original post

Power BI Team

Hi All,

I will attempt to clarify the licensing.

The feature differentiation between the licenses described @ https://powerbi.microsoft.com/pricing  is based on the capabilities of the consuming user, regardless of who created or published the content. Unlike Power BI Pro users, users with a free Power BI User Subscription License (USL) will not be able to consume content which leverages paid features including:

• Content which is scheduled to be refreshed more frequently than daily
  • Content which is streamed at a rate in excess of 10k rows/hours
  • Content which receives data via live interactive connectivity to a data source like SQL Server Analysis Services
  • Content which receives data via a Data Connectivity Gateway
  • Content which belongs to an Office 365 Group
  • Content from organizational content packages which their organization has published for consumption

Users with a free Power BI USL will be able to consume content

• they personally connect to using out of the box solutions for Dynamics, Salesforce, and SendGrid etc
  • they personally import from files like Excel workbooks 
  • is shard with them that does not leverage Power BI Pro features

as long as the total size of all the data they are bringing to their workspace is < 1GB

In terms of the integration with Office 365, this is evolving and the current BI Sites experience will be phased out. We describe this in more detail @ https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/492388-transitioning-to-the-new-power-bi-experien...

Please keep the questions coming and we'll endeavour to make things clearer for you.

The feedback really helps.

Haydn

View solution in original post

All Replies
Power BI Team

Here are some answers:

• Power BI for Office 365 user licenses are treated the same as Power BI Pro in the new Power BI.  Read more at microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/licensing.aspx
  • If you are already a Pro user, you should not be prompted to start the free trial of Pro.  I am not sure why you saw that prompt, but I will investigate.  But regardless of whether Manage Storage shows "Pro User" or "Pro Trial User" you will be able to use all Pro features.
  • Regarding the purchase of Power BI Pro, that message indicates you have a subscription in your tenant that isn't compatible with Power BI Pro.  If you direct message me your email address I will be able to look it up and provide better guidance here.
  • If you share a dashboard from a Pro user to a Free user, the Free user will be able to view it as long as that dashboard doesn't use any Pro features (e.g. on-prem data sources with refresh, direct query to AS Tabular models).
Frequent Visitor

When sharing a report we get a warning about 'This dashboard contains pro content... etc' . Then it provides a link to 'Learn More' about pro content. If you follow the link it is the Power BI homepage. What exactly does 'Pro Content' mean?

Power BI Team

If your dashboard (or underlying reports/datasets) use any of the Pro features below, then the dashboard has Pro content.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/664495-free-trial-for-power-bi-pro

Thanks for reporting the broken link.  Definitely shouldn't go to the home page.  We will fix it.

@AdamWilson Why am I not able to view reports in iPad? 

WP_20150729_001.jpg

Inspit Power BI for mobile device is a free service as indicated on website

PowerBI.png

[ Edited ]

Hi ashishrj,

As advised here I reported exacty the same issue to the support team. I don't have an answer yet.

According to me, if I am a Pro user, I don't have any issues opening reports with scheduled automatic refresh on Windows app. However on iPad I (a Pro user) cannot open the same reports (app version 3.0). To present the PowerBI product  to iOS users I have temporarily "solved" the issue by switching off the automatic refresh.

Hope this issue to be understood by the PowerBI team and addressed by them quickly.

Frequent Visitor

As I also had some issues with the license since the GA:

Could you please provide a more detailled list of functionality which is supported in the different licenses?

The overview on the pricing site is nice, but perhaps it seems it would need more detailed information on the basis of single features/functionality?

Perhaps you can have a thought about it.

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

I am as many others very confused which dashboards that can be shared with free Power Bi users. It is pretty clear in other aspects of the product I think but not with sharing dashboards.

I thought that basically dashboards from pro users could be shared with free users for example, you have a sales team and the sales manager creates a dashboard with connections to dynamics CRM customizes a dashboard for a sales employee showing his indivudual sales stats. My understanding was that looking at this dashboard would be possible for a free user? 

I have a dataset from a .pbix file that has been uploaded to the powerbi portal. The pbix file contains connections to Dynamics CRM and two Azure databases. I have uploaded that to the portal and edited the credentials, scheduled refresh. From this I have created a dashboard and shared with a non pro user. This user cannot access the dashboard.

Why is that? What in my setup forces the pro license request?

I have also shared a dashboard to Google Analytics(scheduled updates) the free user cannot access that either-

I am confused!

Frequent Visitor

My guess is that the problem is the Azure Database and that it falls under the category of "consume live data sources with full interactivity" along with the AS connector.

I tested this with the CRM online Sales Manager Dashboard with some added reports, for example an Azure SQL Database source. The "Pro content" message disappeared after I deleted the Azure SQL source.  

Frequent Visitor

Hello Kristina,

Thanks for that, that might be the reason. Would be nice if a list could be produced that listed all the things that falls under this category. What does even "full interactivity" mean? Is there an option or a way to connect to the same source with limited interactivity? =))