Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ConnorM
Frequent Visitor

"CDSALockAcquireError" when attempting to save any Dataflow within a specific Workspace

Hello,

We have been receiving an error when we attempt to save any dataflow in one of our workspaces "CDSALockAcquireError". It does not matter whether we actually make changes to the table or not and every dataflow in the workspace has the issue.

It succesfully goes through the validating queries stage then returns to the main view of the dataflow (not the edit tables view) and during its saving changes process is when we receive the error.

Searched around quite a bit and saw no references to this specific error value.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately the error seemed to resolve itself after some time, to your question, we did not have the same issue at the time if we copied and imported the JSON to the same workspace - but all existing workflows in that workspace had the same issue across all users.

UPDATE: I did receive a reply from Microsoft, "The CDSALockError is often observed when different dataflow refreshes are out of sync when there are multiple dataflows are involved." There seem to be a number of solutions to get around this, in our case moving the workspace from premium to pro and back seemed to help, I'm sure a few of the others here may work as well. Good luck! 😊

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SSCScott
Frequent Visitor

Also the same issue.

CdsaLockAcquireError

Please help.

Ran a simple API to update the description of the Dataflow and received a slightly more meaningful message.

Still trying to determine (and kill) the process that has the dataflow locked.

{
"error": {
"code": "CdsaLockAcquireError",
"message": "The operation could not be completed because there was a problem updating the Dataflow. The Dataflow is being updated by another operation."
}
}

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @ConnorM 

So your problem is solved, right ? If it has been solved, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

NicoGomez_

Hi, experiencing the same issue with 2 dataflows that we had already in production. I tried to make several changes to them and when trying to save it is not possible: 

NicoGomez__0-1704989849146.png

Thanks so much!

kevingauv
Advocate II
Advocate II

We got the same error hear also. Not for all of our dataflow however. We are trying to find what is similare between the dataflow that are failing when saving.

image.pngimage (1).png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @ConnorM 

Does this error get reported even when a newly created dataflow is saved? What is the data source you are using to create the dataflow?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately the error seemed to resolve itself after some time, to your question, we did not have the same issue at the time if we copied and imported the JSON to the same workspace - but all existing workflows in that workspace had the same issue across all users.

UPDATE: I did receive a reply from Microsoft, "The CDSALockError is often observed when different dataflow refreshes are out of sync when there are multiple dataflows are involved." There seem to be a number of solutions to get around this, in our case moving the workspace from premium to pro and back seemed to help, I'm sure a few of the others here may work as well. Good luck! 😊

Getting this now  and there is no good documentation on what might be causing the lock.

CdsaLockAcquireError

If we can understand what might throw this error, it may help our troubleshooting.

MicrosoftDev Team - can we get some assistance?   This is not a one-time thing.

Thank you.

PBi_Analyst
Regular Visitor

Since yesterday i'm also experiencing the same behaviour. So far no clue to solve the issue. We tried to restart Gateways, update gateway to latest December 2023 version, update all connections. 

What is weird, when we clone affected dataflows which are stored on PPC to another PPC workspace, it works pretty well, but we need to fix the original ones dataflows, because they are connected in multiple reports.

We checked also PPU workspaces and also working pretty well. Only one of our workspace is affected by this issue.

Anyone solve this?

I know what is happening.
I'm facing the same problem and during my attempts to find out what was going on, I tried to update the dataflow and got a continuation of the main CdsaLockAcquireError error:

"Cannot acquire lock for model 'b812702' because it is currently in use."

It seems that we can't save the changes on the dataflow because someone or something is using the dataflow.

I believe that is one scenario - yes.   The best workaround I have found for this error, in my scenario (and might work in your scenario) is to assign the connection to a different Gateway.   This will update the configuration in Power Query/BI properly.   I have tried many other workarounds with no success.   It is a known limitation/issue that "Connections" are left hanging around and I believe have a negative impact (this is one of them).

STEPS TO RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE QUICKLY (Full Disclosure, this is a workaround, not a solution which I hope the Power.* Team can ultimately provide):

1) Navigate to Power Query --> Options --> Project --> Data load:   Review the Data Gateway and make note of the gateway used.

2) Navigate to Power Query --> Manage Connections --> and "unlink" all Connections.

3) Once all Connections are removed you will need to provide a new connection.   Pay attention to the connection type used.   We are using OAUTH with Privacy NONE.   Unless there is a reason to, try to eliminate the need for a gateway.   If a connection with a gateway is needed for your scenario, continue with a connection that has a gateway and assign.

4) Go back to Power Query --> Options --> Project --> Data load and assign the connection to a DIFFERENT gateway.   NOTE:  I have NOT had success in assigning to <none> for gateway so you may need to install a 2nd gateway just to use this workaround.

5) Power BI will go through a saving process but go ahead and save the workflow and get out of the dataflow.

3) After Save, go back in to your Dataflow and re-assign the connection to the gateway you want it assigned to <or> in my case, I am removing the requirement for a gateway so I would select <none>.

5) Navigate to Project --> Privacy in the Options window and make sure the "Allow combining data from multiple sources" is selected.   If you do not select this checkbox, you may get blank data or errors when combining multiple datasets from multiple dataflows and it is difficult to track down the root cause.   Click Ok to accept the settings.

6) Save and Close.

7) Refresh.

😎 No error.

9) You can leave as is if it works and the new gateway is ok to use <or> go back through the steps above and reset to None <or> the original gateway.

10) If you have questions while going through the above steps - please respond here and I'll get to you as quick as I can.   I have spent hours on this issue and even logged a ticket with Microsoft that I'm not entirely sure what their next step is.   I asked them to close the ticket (against my better judgement----  we still need a cleaner way to work with Connections and Gateways.   If there are code files we could review / update or scripts we can use to fix this, I would love to know what they are).

Best of luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors