Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cosm
Resolver II
Resolver II

Workpace - AD security groups not working for new workspaces

1. Hi.

I have a problem using AD groups for managing workspace permission for newly created workspaces in Power BI service.

1. I create new workspace
  2. 👷🏻Assign permissions using a AD security group. "Member" role in the workspace 
  3. Members of the AD group can not access the workspace in Power BI service. Even though they should have permisision through the AD group

Does somebody now what is wrong?

I have tried waiting 12 hours, and the same behaviour occurs for several new workspaces.

Also note: The memebers of the AD group can access the workspace if they

- they are given permission individually

- the same permission removed

E.g.

1. Create new workspace
  2.  👷🏻Assign permissions using a AD security group. "Member" role in the workspace 
  3. Assign permissions to each member of the AD group
  4. Remove permissions to each member of the AD group
  5. Now the members of the AD group sees the workspace,

Kind regards

2 REPLIES 2
cosm
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, I thank you for the reply. I will check out the points you suggested, and see if any works

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cosm ,

Based on the information you have provided, you assign roles to the security group but members of the security group do not have access to the workspace. You can troubleshoot the issue by following these steps:

1. Ensure that the security group in question is an email-enabled security group or a Microsoft 365 group, as Power BI workspace access relies on these types of groups.
  2. Verify that the AD security group membership is properly synchronised with Azure Active Directory. Changes to group membership in AD may take some time to be reflected in Azure AD, which in turn affects Power BI. due to a delay in the web page when assigning roles to groups. You can try refreshing the page.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors