Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BenediktW
Frequent Visitor

Visual calculation: running sum - sorting issue

Hello together,

I ve tried to utilize the new visual calculations to calculate running sums (cumulative percentage sales per customers as running totals).

Anyhow, I have the problem that the running sum gets calculated based on the alphabetical order of the category. Not on the sales volume (how I want it to be), on which the table is sorted. Is there any solution for this?

Thank you very much!

BenediktW_0-1711455903940.png

On the "Anteil_am_Gesamtumsatz" you can see the correct order. Anyhow the running sum is not calculating based on the sorted order but on the alphabetical order of my category. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BenediktW
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin 

Finally I found a solution without runningsum but with visual calc, which is working properly:

FORMAT(SUMX( WINDOW(1, ABS, 0 ,REL, ALLSELECTED([Customer, ],  [Sales]), ORDERBY([Sales], DESC
)), [Share total Sales]) , "Percent")

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BenediktW
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin 

Finally I found a solution without runningsum but with visual calc, which is working properly:

FORMAT(SUMX( WINDOW(1, ABS, 0 ,REL, ALLSELECTED([Customer, ],  [Sales]), ORDERBY([Sales], DESC
)), [Share total Sales]) , "Percent")
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

please show the visual calculation formula

BenediktW_0-1711526955140.png

That is the formular for running sum

My visual is sorted like this (based on Sales): 

BenediktW_0-1711529101432.png

However, as soon as I enter the visual calculation area, it automatically ignores the sorting of the table and just takes the alphabetical order of my category (Customer): 

BenediktW_1-1711529206737.png

confirmed as a bug

lbendlin_0-1711544507147.png

@jeroenterheerdt 

it's not a bug, it's how it was implemented right now. What do you expect? Do you want the visual matrix to _always_ be sorted on whatever is the visual?

it's not a bug, it's how it was implemented 

that means the implementation was buggy 🙂

no, that was intentional. It follows the model sort order, such a sorting columns. Just blindly following the sort order of the visual is not the only choice.

Unless specified otherwise with PARTITIONBY or ORDERBY, yes! 

thanks for letting me know. What about the sort order from the model? And how about functions that don't have the ORDERBY and PARTITIONBY parameter, like RUNNINGSUM?

Thank you for the feedback, in my case: I cannot take simply any sorting order from the model as the sorting order must be based on a measure here. Thats why I currently see no way how to use the runningsum calculation for my advantage. 

When a "visual" calculation is ignoring the set-up of my visual, but is taking randomly alphabetical order of the category (my model is not sorted alphabetically) I dont really see the point.

This is also declared as a issue in various reviews (e.g. : DAX Fridays #225: RUNNINGSUM | Visual calculation functions - YouTube)   Minute 2:30)) 

In case I missed it: is there any option influence the runningsum sort-oder (besides query editor)?

there is not yet, we are actively thinking through what this should look like. Please feel free to give your input on this form: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR-XFZhNDe99FoNSD_SJIDNlUNkNR...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors