Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestion: Touchscreen with PowerBI embedded in PowerPoint

This crosses a few different services, hopefully this is the right forum.

I'm embedding several PowerBI reports into PowerPoint using the in-preview add-on. The PowerPoint runs in Kiosk (fullscreen) mode on a display TV. When the PowerPoint is in edit mode, I can freely interact with the embedded PowerBI report using filters, slicers, etc. However, once I enter presentation mode I can no longer interact with the visuals at all.

My request is to keep the same ability to interact with PowerBI reports when using Presentation/fullscreen mode as with edit mode.

The goal is for Leadership/Guests to have a clean view of several relevant PowerBI reports that they can interact with. If I can make this work, I'll expand it to several TV's throughout the factory.

I've tried every combination of Kiosk/Touch from the quick menu/Presenter View that I can think of with no success.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am currently struggeling with the same issue. We have a large Touch Display and a Windows PC integrated. Touch control works fine except within presentation mode of power point. A normal Mouse works fine but due to the need that we want to have this display wall mounted in our production facility without external hardware that's not option.

I would take any tip any one might have!

BR,

Nico

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As soon as you add a live Power BI report page to PowerPoint, you can start interacting with your data just as you would in Power BI.

The live report page is interactive in both edit and slide-show modes.

For more details, please refer to:

Add a live Power BI report page to PowerPoint

View and present live Power BI report pages in PowerPoint

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jianbo,

If you have been able to reproduce interacting with a live Power BI report page while fullscreen in PowerPoint on a touchscreen TV please let me know the settings/hardware/configuration you used so I can purchase. I have not been able to achieve this.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chromeless + tab rotate is what I've been using. It's functional but doesn't show as well. People need to be able to see the tabs at the top to pause the Tab Rotate and making my visuals show well with a browser window is annoying to say the least. Using PowerPoint I made a master slide with the company logo and some transitions+filler slides+text/supporting images quickly and easily. 

The ability to 'reset' to a standard set of slicers without having to build a bunch of bookmarks is also nice:

"The live report page is interactive in both edit and slide-show modes. Changes you make to the report state (via filtering, selection, slicing, etc.) in edit mode while setting up your slides are saved. By contrast, changes you make to the report state in slide show mode aren't saved. When you exit the show, the report goes back to the state it was in when you left edit mode."

Honestly PowerPoint embedding is really close to doing what I need and showing really well, it's just the lack of being able to "click" via the TV Touchscreen that's killing me.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm curious, what's the purpose of using PowerPoint in this context, do you also have narrative or other elements in your deck? Wouldn't Power BI reports loaded in chromeless mode directly from the Power BI service meet your requirement?

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors