Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

automate2create
Regular Visitor

Question on restoring previous Power BI report

I work in our IT team and we create all the Power BI reports for the users to access.  We create them in Power BI Desktop and then publish them to Services.  A user has called me and said that their tabs from one of the reports has just disappeared.  Most of the users don't have the ability to edit in Services but this one does and has been editing the report, unknown to us. I have just done a Publish from Power BI Desktop to make some general updates to the report and have wiped out the changes made by the user in Services.

There is a discussion that needs to be had around how the IT team work with this user to build reports together and whether he gets access to Power BI desktop, but right now, I want to restore the previous version of the report - if that is possible.  Obviously I have published the latest version of the report from Power BI Desktop so I think it might be gone for good and Power BI will simply treat this as a new report and we cannot restore?

I have read around the internet and instructions say to select File and then Info.... but there is no info option after selecting File (this is within services).  Any suggestions anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @automate2create 

Unfortunatly without the use of piplines and Git (Premium feature) there is no way to recuperate what is deleted or overwritten. 

To avoid this case from happening again under Por licenses I would recommend :

• Create 3 Workspaces :
    • 1 for Dev and test, It contains Datasets and reports
    • 1 for Prod, it contains Thin reports only (Publish the report without Dataset on Live connection mode)
    • 1 for Dataset_Prod, It can contain the Report of Prod if you want as last version
  • Create the App from WS_Prod(Thin report)
  • Add end users to the Audiences of the App
  • Give access permission as viewer to end users directly on the Dataset_Prod(Not the workspace) 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
automate2create
Regular Visitor

OK this is very useful thanks.  Yes, I did have a suspicion it was a lost cause but just typical of when one foot doesn't know what the other foot is doing!  Thanks again.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @automate2create 

Unfortunatly without the use of piplines and Git (Premium feature) there is no way to recuperate what is deleted or overwritten. 

To avoid this case from happening again under Por licenses I would recommend :

• Create 3 Workspaces :
    • 1 for Dev and test, It contains Datasets and reports
    • 1 for Prod, it contains Thin reports only (Publish the report without Dataset on Live connection mode)
    • 1 for Dataset_Prod, It can contain the Report of Prod if you want as last version
  • Create the App from WS_Prod(Thin report)
  • Add end users to the Audiences of the App
  • Give access permission as viewer to end users directly on the Dataset_Prod(Not the workspace) 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors