Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RobRayborn
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Dataset and Excel

I don't know if this is a Power BI issue or an Excel issue so I will post it in both forums.  When I try to import data from a Power BI Dataset I am not presented with the options of + Insert Pivot Table or + Insert Table. I'm only provided a list of Datasets available from our Work Spaces (Promoted and not Promoted) with the header that states, "Select a dataset to create a PivotTable. Your PivotTable will be created in a new worksheet." I have checked with our IT department and I have all the permissions necessary to be able to + Insert Table. I am also running Microsoft 365. Any ideas as to why this option is not available to me?

17 REPLIES 17
tvanstraelen
Frequent Visitor

Also not (yet) seeing the option '+ Insert Tabel'.
All requirements are fullfilled (tenant settings, Excel version high enough, Build permissions on datasets).
I hope this option is available soon in all regions.

mattiasdesmet
Resolver I
Resolver I

Could it be that it is not rolled out to you yet:

mattiasdesmet_0-1700136293391.png

Announcing new ways to create connected tables in Excel connected to Power BI | Microsoft Power BI B...

Is your excel version great than 16.0.15427.10000? (file, account, about)

E.g. Monthly enterprise channel doesnt seem to have it, etc...

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20278) 64-bit

Can you provide a screenshot of the interface where the "+ Insert" button is not visible?

Screenshot Excel.png

Hi, I am having the same exact issue here. I hace checked everything and the option "+ Insert Table" still not showing. Could It be that Microsoft is still rolling out this capability.

Best regards

Check your PowerBI tenant settings:

- tenant administrator must enable the Allow XMLA endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets tenant setting

- tenant administrator must enable the Users can work with Power BI semantic models in Excel using a live connection tenant setting

mattiasdesmet_0-1700147071638.png

Also check that you have Build permissions on the PowerBI dataset/semantic model: 

... -> Manage Permissions -> Direct access -> your user/group

mattiasdesmet_1-1700147256486.png

Hi @RobRayborn 
Please check out my reply  6 and give it a try. You need to contact the Power BI Admin and verify with him.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

RobRayborn
Helper III
Helper III

This did not fix the problem. 
I'm only allowed to pull in a Dataset and use it as a Pivot Table. + Insert Table is not an option that is available.

pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @RobRayborn 

1. Open Excel on Desktop.
  2. Get data from PowerPlatform.
  3. You will have the option to create a Table or Pivot table.

pmreis_0-1699825599198.png

Pedro Reis - Data Platform MVP / MCT
Making Power BI and Fabric Simple

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn

This did not fix the problem. 
I'm only allowed to pull in a Dataset and use it as a Pivot Table. + Insert Table is not an option that is available.

Can you confirm this happens in Excel Desktop?

Hi @RobRayborn 

This is an edit permission reason that needs to be allowed from the tenant

aj1973_0-1699836980947.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

mattiasdesmet
Resolver I
Resolver I

In Excel Online, you only get the option + Insert Pivot Table.

In the full Excel app on your laptop, you'll get both options +Insert Pivot Table + Insert Table

Is that the problem you encountered?

I receive only the option of Insert Pivot table in both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors