Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Matthew_Martell
Frequent Visitor

How to extract failure details from dataflow refresh history?

Hi Fabric community!

In our workplace we use the standard Microsoft APIs to extract all kinds of useful audit data from Power BI including refresh history. This enables us to see what we have refreshing on the service, what the outcome of that job was, any error messages, etc. The data which we get from this gives some key insights into our reporting platform.

However, for dataflows we cannot pull through the error message details from the APIs. We can of course manually go into each dataflow on the service, look at refresh history and download the Excel file which has the error details. 

Does anybody know of a way to automatically extract data refresh failure messages from dataflows? We can get the dataflow refresh status without issue - whether it completed, failed, etc. But we can't see the error detail of why it failed.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Matthew_Martell
Frequent Visitor

Has anybody managed to do this using something like Power Automate?

Hi @Matthew_Martell 

When I checked the threads in our community, I realized that your question has not been addressed. After reading it, I had the following reference:

Currently, the Power BI REST API provides a way to monitor all aspects of the Power BI service. However, as you've noticed, while you can get the status of data stream refreshes, there are limitations to extracting detailed error messages through the API.

For a more automated approach to accessing error details from the data stream, consider the following solution:

You can set up a Power Automate stream that is triggered when a data stream refresh completes.

This stream checks the status of the refresh and, if the refresh fails, programmatically navigates to the refresh history to pull error details.

While this method does not pull error messages directly through the API, it automates the process of accessing these details.

Manually viewing the refresh history in the Power BI service is the current method. Automating this process with Power Automate simplifies the workflow.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, thank you. Power Automate was the solution which I had in mind. What I was hoping for was that somebody had done this and had some examples.

NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Based on my understanding, currently it is not possible to get the details in an automated way via REST API.

That functionality is not available.

Thank you for confirming that @NandanHegde. It aligns with what we thought, but it is good to hear that others have come to that conclusion.

I'm wondering if anybody in the community has found a way to scrape out those dataflow error details through some other mechanism? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors