Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ChuckS
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway is running but online status shows offline

I have two gateways running on two dedicated servers. Both are in a cluster and balance the load as needed. In general this works as intended. However I am running into an unusual situation as of late. 

Our Internet provider is working with our networking folks to issolate an issue that frequently causes out Internet to drop for several seconds. It comes back but the gateways alway go to offline status when viewed from the "Manage connections and gateways". This causes scheduled refreshes to fail.

I check the servers and the Windows service is running. To get the gateways back online I have to restart the Windows On-Prem service on both servers. Everything is fine until the next Internet blip. It is like the online PBi service sees the gateway is unreachable and just stops trying altogether.

Is there anyway to get the online service to retry the connection to the gateway?
Or as an alternative, is there something I can do on the gateways to check if the PBi service is listing them as being offline and to restart the Windows service on the gateway to reestablish the link?

Hopefully the Internet issue is resolved soon but as it is now I am spending a large amount of time manually check the if the gateways are online so scheduled refreshes complete successfuly.

Thank you,
Chuck

5 REPLIES 5
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChuckS 

Unfortunately, the Power BI service does not have a built-in feature to automatically retry connections to gateways that temporarily go offline due to internet connectivity issues. However, implementing an automatic reconnection strategy on your servers can help. This involves creating a simple script that checks the gateway's connection status and, if disconnected, attempts to restart the gateway service.

You can use Windows Task Scheduler to run a PowerShell script at regular intervals that checks the status of the Power BI gateway service and restarts it if it's not actively connected.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion. 
You would not happen to have an example of a PS script that can do this.

I did find some old examples that require granting API access but I am not sure if that is the correct approach. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It is like the online PBi service sees the gateway is unreachable and just stops trying altogether.

The Power BI service has no way to communicate with the gateway cluster members. ALL communication is exclusively initiated by the gateway cluster members.

Which gateway version are you running?

Currently both gateways are running version 3000.202.16

The gateways say they are online and the Windows server is running but when I check the online service it shows both as offline. Stopping/restarting the Windows service on each gateway gets things working again so secheduled refreshes continue.

I would think if there is an Internet inturuption, once it came back up the gateways would re-establish the connection but that does not seem to be the case.

In a normal world I would have said "downgrade to 198.17"  but as you know gateways don't follow normal world rules. You cannot downgrade a gateway, only upgrade, or start over.

Since you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors