Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kellef
Helper I
Helper I

Datamodelling with a shared dataset and refreshes on the datasets

Hello,
I have a "master dataset (shared dataset)" that my reports are based on. If I add something to the master data set and refresh it, I think it should affect the sub data sets that are added when I create reports based on the master data set? I have set up a refresh on the master dataset and daily refreshes on the reports. What am I missing?

Once I download the report and update manually, it works...but of course I want it to work in the flow when I upload to PBI services.

Kellef_0-1711102817594.png

According to the picture. The ProdMaster dataset, when updated, brings in the latest changes and the latest data. It works....BUT, the 2 datasets/reports based on the ProdMaster dataset are not updated. Why? I insert that it is updated after the ProdMasterDataset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Kellef ,

I think that the issue is that the sub datasets have to be refreshed as well - they do not automatically know that the first dataset is updated.  Each dataset will have to be updated individually.  This holds true for the reports as well.  Until a report is refreshed it won't modify just because the master dataset refreshed.

This is actually a good thing as you don't want reports to suddenly just change without some sort of process.  This could cause analysis (and presentations) to have unexpected results.  This also allows for version control of the data and the reports if so desired.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Kellef ,

I think that the issue is that the sub datasets have to be refreshed as well - they do not automatically know that the first dataset is updated.  Each dataset will have to be updated individually.  This holds true for the reports as well.  Until a report is refreshed it won't modify just because the master dataset refreshed.

This is actually a good thing as you don't want reports to suddenly just change without some sort of process.  This could cause analysis (and presentations) to have unexpected results.  This also allows for version control of the data and the reports if so desired.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for your reply, after some analysis and discussion we have come to the conclusion that it is exactly as you say it is smarter that it is more secure this way and easier for versioning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors