Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

id013
Helper V
Helper V

Data Model Refresh Issue

Hi,

So I'm having an issue with a data model that has a SQL server datasource and 8 excel files as data sources located on a network share that is accessible by the gateway. When I do a refresh on PBI desktop on my local PC it takes 5-10 minutes to refresh which was acceptable. However, I found that when I deployed it to the production workspace and did a refresh there it would take 90 minutes. 

Has anyone run into similar issues before? I'm currently looking through the gateway logs but I thought I'd put the question out there.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

A ton of factors come into play:

1. network latency
  2. gateway config
  3. machine gateway is installed on
  4. network issues

You can start with performance tuning at Monitor and optimize on-premises data gateway performance | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

So there's another wrinkle with this issue. So I was getting errors refreshing the model on the service. Specifically I was getting a timeout issue on a specific table, I thought it was a related so I checked the model on PBI desktop to check if it would refresh there. I found that it also failed refreshing the table on desktop. But here's where it gets wierd, I grab the query for the table and run it on SMSS, works fine results return in like 2 seconds, 6200 rows. So same query on PBI desktop fails with timeout issue just like the refresh. If I adjust a table name in this case it's "pre_t" by adding another underscore to "pre__t" and it refreshes successfully with no issue. Is there any reason why making this change would even make a difference? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors