Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

V_20
Frequent Visitor

Change power bi data set from live to composite model

Hello Community, 

I am having a data set in service that is connected to a AAS data base through Live connection and that using that data set i have created several reports as well.

Now, i am trying to change the data set connection to Direct Query as per below microsoft Documentation in Desktop. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-...

After changing to direct query and creating new columns to that data set, when i publish though desktop, report gets published with the below message

V_20_0-1673515548208.png

So after this, if i download the same report from service and open it in desktop, the model is still in Live connection and the changes are not Reflected. 

When i try to replicate the same scenario by creating a  new datas set with AAS as a direct query and publish everything works as Expected. 

So my Question is, Is it not possible to change the existing Live query data set to Composite or Direct Query? If so why the publish is saying successfull?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Make sure you are looking in the correct workspace.

V_20
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin Yeah its the same Workspace and the same file. Infact i have created many reports using the same dataset and all reports are missing the changes

Is this on shared capacity or Premium?

V_20
Frequent Visitor

Premium

Since you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

V_20
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin Thanks for your reply.

Yes in Power Bi Desktop it is in Mixed Mode but after publishing, in Service the text file table is not showing. (Even Downloaded the service file and opened in Desktop still it is not there).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

try adding a simple import query (like a text file) to your PBIX.  That should force the live connection into mixed mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors