Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sykong

We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string

I'm trying out Power BI Report Server and am getting this error message trying to run a report.

We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly.

i'm not using SSAS so not sure why I'm getting this.  I saw a few threads on this already, but wasn't able to resolve with them. 

Also, the data sources tab is grayed out for me and have been unable to find a solution for why that is.  Hopefully someone here can help me out

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Which version of PBIRS? It is issue on any report, or on live connected reports? When and where is this error message?

It looks as issues of some older release, or as misconfiguration PBIRS (wrong server name, or something like that)

Hi Josef78,  

I just installed it.  It's version 15.0.1114.33.  I'm on a 180 day free trial, if that makes a difference.  This occurs when attempting to run the report.  It will spin for a few seconds and then say "an unexpected error occurred".  Then I click on ErrorShowTechnicalDetails and then I get the couldn't connect to Analysis Services Server error .

This is a named instance (PBIRS).  This is because the server already has a regular instance of SSRS installed. Could that be an issue?

I only have the one report.  It uses Direct Connect going to an AWS Redshift instance.  I asked my developer to create a simple report just to see what happens.  I'll reply back when I find out.

Thanks!

Yes, reports ran just fine, so it looks like it's something with Redshift.  

Yes, also try create import mode report connected to AWS redshift, to narrow down where is problem ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.