Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vonschultz666
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Report Server vs. ClickHouse

Hi everyone,

I need help regarding some architectural aspects of our Data Warehouse (DWH) as we are planning to build our warehouse from the ground up. Currently, we are undecided between Apache Superset and MS Power BI for the visualization tool. In this context, we have doubts about the consumption layer.

Our architecture will include three zones: staging, core, and data marts. In the case of Power BI, should we opt for direct query for data ingestion (equivalent to Superset's approach) or should we use import? In either case, where should measures be calculated, perhaps not event in the data mart layer, but rather some separate layer?

Any information, further instructions, or literature recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
vonschultz666
Helper I
Helper I

For example, if we decide to use direct query mode we would calculate our measures on Clickhouse, similar when using SSAS tabular cubes.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In either case, where should measures be calculated, perhaps not event in the data mart layer, but rather some separate layer?

Not sure what your definition of measures is but in the Power BI world they are computed at the UX layer - when users interact with reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.