Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RDAngeloEB

Power BI Report Server Doesn't Work With Edge

Power BI Report Server doesn't appear to work well with Microsoft Edge.  Items do not load and show blank spaces, this is not the case when view via Chrome.  This should be looked into since Microsoft is always pushing users to set Edge as their default browser.

Currently we are on the Sept 2023 release, but it has not worked right in Edge for awhile now.  We will eventually upgrade to Jan 2024, but I suspect that will not fix the issues, since nothing is documented about this in the release notes.

Please look into this Microsoft.

Thanks,

Richard

9 REPLIES 9
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I don't have any problems with PBIRS in Edge browser. Please check if PBI RS portal is not running in Edge Legacy mode (using IE11 engine), it may be forced by company policies.

Where do you check this?  I've looked through the configuration manager on the server and do not see anything about Edge Legacy Mode.

No, you must look to settings of Edge browser on local computer, you can see in address bar, check if your browser not using legacy mode (Compatibility mode)

It does not appear to be using any compatibility mode. Also, it opens the power bi report server home page and opens SSRS reports no problem, it will even open Power BI reports, however some objects do not display at all and are just blank, however those same objects appear fine in Chrome.  I beleive there are issues with Edge and Power BI that need to be looked at by Microsoft.

It is specific problem, I my company is 4 thousand users with Edge and using PBI without problem. There may be more causes, like:

-IE compatibility mode (forced by company policy), where SSRS work fine, but PBI is not suppoerted in IE

-another company policy, which can block anything

-Edge installation or running issues (like full cache) - try delete all edge cache files

-depeneds which objects are not displaying, e.g. if they are external resources (images), there also can be connectivity/trust to external sources issues

-and so on

Best way is contact your IT and security department (who know most about your edge instalation and company policy), and if it does not help, then create issue tictet to Microsoft.

v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RDAngeloEB ,

Microsoft Edge Legacy is no longer officially supported for Power BI Report Server since March 9, 2021. Similarly, Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 support ended on August 17, 2021

You may need to update your edge browser to the latest version.

Below is the official link will help you:

Browser support for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is the version of Edge we are on.

Microsoft Edge Version 120.0.2210.144 (Official build) (64-bit)

Is this Legacy?  From what I can find it appears this version is around the Nov/Dec 2023 timeframe, which would tell me its newer than the dates listed for ended support.

Hi @RDAngeloEB ,

You can try this:

• Clear your browser cache and cookies. Sometimes cached data can cause unexpected behavior.
  • Try accessing Power BI Report Server in incognito mode (private browsing) within Edge. This helps rule out any browser extensions or settings interfering with the functionality.
  • If the issue persists, consider using an alternative browser (such as Chrome) for your Power BI tasks until a resolution is found.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cleared cache and tried incognito mode and Edge is still not performing and displaying objects correctly for Power BI Report Server.  We already use and recommend Chrome which works fine.  The main point of my post is, Microsoft keeps suggesting to make Edge the default browswer and it doesn't work well with Power BI at all.  It makes no sense since Edge is supposed to be chromium based.  Both products are Microsoft based and if it's going to recommend to use their own it should by default work with the other product offerings from them.

I will still leave this as no solution, as it should still be investigated to see if Edge can be fixed to work with Power BI or vise versa.  The solution should not be to download a competitors product.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.