Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HerbertC
Regular Visitor

Split Data In Multiple Columns

Good evening folks,

I have data that is emailed to me daily with a grade and the price of the grade. My challenge is that the data is arrange in double columns that go across the page. How can I convert this data into just 2 columns, ie grade and average price? Please see example below, I wasn't sure how to attach a pdf or excel file. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I would like to convert this into 2 columns iei grade and priceI would like to convert this into 2 columns iei grade and price

Regards 

Herbert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, if you don't need PDF name use this code:

let
    // Google Drive Link
    Source = Web.Contents("https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=16en6fo7n-5VR-virg1DoezUzsRmHmYfi"),
    ExcelWorkbook = Excel.Workbook(Source),
    MatrixData_Table = ExcelWorkbook{[Item="MatrixData",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    Transformed = Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(List.Skip(Table.ToColumns(MatrixData_Table)), 2), each Table.FromColumns(_, Value.Type(Table.SelectColumns(MatrixData_Table, List.FirstN(List.Skip(Table.ColumnNames(MatrixData_Table)),2))))))
in
    Transformed

If you want to preserve PDF names, use this code:

let
    // Google Drive Link
    Source = Web.Contents("https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=16en6fo7n-5VR-virg1DoezUzsRmHmYfi"),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(MatrixData_Table, {"Date"}, {{"All", each Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(List.Skip(Table.ToColumns(_)), 2), (x)=> Table.FromColumns(x, Value.Type(Table.SelectColumns(_, List.FirstN(List.Skip(Table.ColumnNames(_)),2)))))), type table}}),
    ExpandedAll = Table.ExpandTableColumn(GroupedRows, "All", {"Grade", "Average Price"}, {"Grade", "Average Price"}),
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(ExpandedAll, each ([Grade] <> null and [Grade] <> "")),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(FilteredRows,{{"Grade", type text}, {"Average Price", Currency.Type}}, "en-US")
in
    ChangedType

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@HerbertC Pls provide public access.

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @HerbertC, different approach:

Before

dufoq3_0-1713188804732.png

After

dufoq3_1-1713188819110.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjTy8VbSUTLSMwKSAcb+bo5A2sQUSEQY+7gDKVNjkAwIxepEK/kY+YDEzEzAqg3CgJQZVDFEtQlIdYSpQSSQMrcwAWvyNbAMBdlhCtbl4+ML0gViRwW7uII1mcKsiAUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Grade = _t, Average = _t, Grade1 = _t, Average1 = _t, Grade2 = _t, Average2 = _t, Grade3 = _t, Average3 = _t]),
    Transformed = Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(Table.ToColumns(Source), 2), each Table.FromColumns(_, Value.Type(Table.SelectColumns(Source, List.FirstN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),2))))))
in
    Transformed

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@HerbertC  

1. Import the Data: Open Excel and import the data from your email attachment or copy and paste it into a new worksheet.

2. Select the Data: Highlight the range of cells containing your data.

3. Open Power Query: Go to the "Data" tab in Excel and click on "From Table/Range" in the "Get & Transform Data" group. This will open the Power Query Editor.

4. Transform the Data:

• In the Power Query Editor, you'll see your data displayed in a table.
    • Select the columns that contain the grades and prices.
    • Go to the "Transform" tab and click on "Unpivot Columns" in the "Any Column" group. This will unpivot your data and stack the grade and price columns into a single column called "Attribute" and another column called "Value".
    • Rename the "Attribute" column to "Grade" and the "Value" column to "Price".
    • You may need to do additional cleaning or formatting depending on your data.
  5. Load the Transformed Data: Once you're satisfied with the transformation, click on "Close & Load" in the Home tab to load the data back into Excel.

6. Review the Data: After loading the transformed data back into Excel, you should see it in a format where you have two columns: one for the grade and one for the average price.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

HerbertC
Regular Visitor

Thanks @jgeddes 

The solution is not very far off. How can I attach an excel or CSV file so that you have the actuall data?

Regards

Herbert

The easiest way to share a file is to post a link to a file saved in cloud storage such as OneDrive. Make sure the link allows access to the file. 
Another method for sample data is that you can copy a section of data frpm your file and pasting it into the table feature of the reply headers of these messages.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

hello, @HerbertC 

to_list = Table.ToList(
        your_table,
        (x) => List.Split(x, 2) 
    ),
    to_table = Table.FromList(
        List.Combine(to_list), 
        (x) => x, 
        {"Grade", "Average Price"}
    )
    // then filter out rows with nulls or blanks 
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

Here is an example code that you can paste into the advanced editor of a blank query and work through the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjTy8VbSUTLSMwKSAcb+bo5A2sQUSEQY+7gDKVNjkAwIxepEK/kY+YDEzEzAqg3CgJQZVDFEtQlIdYSpQSSQMrcwAWvyNbAMBdlhCtbl4+ML0gViRwW7uII1mcKsiAUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Grade = _t, Average = _t, Grade1 = _t, Average1 = _t, Grade2 = _t, Average2 = _t, Grade3 = _t, Average3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Grade", type text}, {"Average", Int64.Type}, {"Grade1", type text}, {"Average1", Int64.Type}, {"Grade2", type text}, {"Average2", Int64.Type}, {"Grade3", type text}, {"Average3", Int64.Type}}),
    Custom1 = List.Combine(Table.ToRows(#"Changed Type")),
    Custom2 = List.Zip({List.Alternate(Custom1, 1, 1, 1), List.Alternate(Custom1, 1, 1, 0)}),
    Custom3 = Table.FromRows(Custom2, type table [Grade = text, Average = number]),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Custom3, each ([Grade] <> ""))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Basically you are creating a combining the lists of rows into a single list and then combining every other row together in a new list and then turning that list back into a table.

I start with...

jgeddes_0-1712608221700.png

and end up with...

jgeddes_1-1712608247191.png

Thank you very much @jgeddes this is certainly getting me warmer.

I am a bit of a newbie, would you mind assisting to add your query to the one below, which I have extracted. The query below brings me to the starting point in power query which is equivalent to the pic that I originally posted:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\XXX\Reporting & Analysis\XXXXXX Matrix\Data"),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Column2] <> null)),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filtered Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"02-APR-2024.pdf", type text}, {"Grade", type text}, {"Average Price", type text}, {"Grade_1", type text}, {"Average Price_2", type text}, {"Grade_3", type text}, {"Average Price_4", type text}, {"Grade_5", type text}, {"Average Price_6", type text}, {"Grade_7", type text}, {"Average Price_8", type text}, {"Grade_9", type text}, {"Average Price_10", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each ([Grade] <> "Grade")),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"02-APR-2024.pdf", "Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Thank you

This should do it...

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\XXX\Reporting & Analysis\XXXXXX Matrix\Data"),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Column2] <> null)),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filtered Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"02-APR-2024.pdf", type text}, {"Grade", type text}, {"Average Price", type text}, {"Grade_1", type text}, {"Average Price_2", type text}, {"Grade_3", type text}, {"Average Price_4", type text}, {"Grade_5", type text}, {"Average Price_6", type text}, {"Grade_7", type text}, {"Average Price_8", type text}, {"Grade_9", type text}, {"Average Price_10", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each ([Grade] <> "Grade")),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"02-APR-2024.pdf", "Date"}}),
    Custom1 = List.Combine(Table.ToRows(#"Renamed Columns")),
    Custom2 = List.Zip({List.Alternate(Custom1, 1, 1, 1), List.Alternate(Custom1, 1, 1, 0)}),
    Custom3 = Table.FromRows(Custom2, type table [Grade = text, Average = number]),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(Custom3, each ([Grade] <> ""))
in
    #"Filtered Rows2"

Good day @jgeddes @dufoq3 @johnbasha33 @AlienSx 

Thank you all for your contributions so far, almost there but not quite.

I am sharing a link with my actual excel spreadsheet once I have done all the transformations that I can.

May you please assist with how to shift from here to end up with just 3 columns, i.e. 1. Source (Date), 2. Grade & 3. Price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16en6fo7n-5VR-virg1DoezUzsRmHmYfi/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=10... 

Thank you so much

Regards

Herbert

Hi, if you don't need PDF name use this code:

let
    // Google Drive Link
    Transformed = Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(List.Skip(Table.ToColumns(MatrixData_Table)), 2), each Table.FromColumns(_, Value.Type(Table.SelectColumns(MatrixData_Table, List.FirstN(List.Skip(Table.ColumnNames(MatrixData_Table)),2))))))
in
    Transformed

If you want to preserve PDF names, use this code:

let
    // Google Drive Link
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(MatrixData_Table, {"Date"}, {{"All", each Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(List.Skip(Table.ToColumns(_)), 2), (x)=> Table.FromColumns(x, Value.Type(Table.SelectColumns(_, List.FirstN(List.Skip(Table.ColumnNames(_)),2)))))), type table}}),
    ExpandedAll = Table.ExpandTableColumn(GroupedRows, "All", {"Grade", "Average Price"}, {"Grade", "Average Price"}),
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(ExpandedAll, each ([Grade] <> null and [Grade] <> "")),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(FilteredRows,{{"Grade", type text}, {"Average Price", Currency.Type}}, "en-US")
in
    ChangedType

@jgeddes @dufoq3 @johnbasha33 @AlienSx 

Pse try again

Make the link public please.

I've already solved your task 30 minutes ago... See it here if you don't want to scrolll

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors