Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rbreneman
Helper II
Helper II

Remove duplicate and control which row stays

Hi!

I have a pretty simple query, two columns. Column A is the name of a school and column B is an ID number. I want to remove the duplicate ID number, but keep the row that has the shortest name. The screenshot below illustrates this. Is it possible to do this in Power Query Editor? I'm not interested in DAX. Thanks!

PQ_Duplicates.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.FromRecords(Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"ColumnB",{"n",each Table.Min(_,each Text.Length([ColumnA]))})[n])

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rbreneman
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you all for your proposed solutions! I decided to go with @wdx223_Daniel's solution as it was the simplest to implement. It works perfectly!

Thanks again!

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.FromRecords(Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"ColumnB",{"n",each Table.Min(_,each Text.Length([ColumnA]))})[n])

Hi Daniel,

very nice solution!
I played around a bit and this small step surprisingly also gives the right result:

[Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTI0MjZRitUBclB4Tk5AHpBjCuEhc5yBHCDbDMJB4bm4uAC5QJ45hAvnxAIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, ID = _t]) ,

Result = Table.Group(Source, {"ID"}, {"Name", each List.Min([Name])})
][Result]

this code only feedback two columns.

how about the table have three or more columns?

I have only tested it with the sample data.
I was just very surprised that List.Min([Name]) is evaluated.
Can you explain this?

Greetings Mel

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

You can Group by ID, then use a custom aggregation to return the grouped subtable that has the shortest "school"

let

//change next line to reflect your actual data source
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table5"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"school", type text}, {"id", Int64.Type}}),

//group by id and filter table by shortest text length of school
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"id"}, {
        {"School", (t)=> Table.SelectRows(t, 
            each Text.Length([school]) =  List.Min(List.Transform(t[school], each Text.Length(_)))),
            type table[school=text, id=Int64.Type]}
    }),

//remove unneeded column and expand the list of tables
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"id"}),
    #"Expanded School" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "School", {"school", "id"})
in
    #"Expanded School"
FlavioMeneses
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi, MS say "there's no guarantee that the first instance in a set of duplicates will be chosen when duplicates ar..." so best to write a function to control the behaviour. If you add the two queries below as blank queries you should see something that works.

Dummy data table - replace with your actual table

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTJUitUBshBMJycg0wjChLOcgSxjCAvBdHFxAbJNIGwIKxYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, ID = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}}),
// put table in memory to pass into fx below
#"aux - buffer table" = #"Changed Type",
#"Invoked fx - Shortest School Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"aux - buffer table", "Shortest School Name", each #"fx - Shortest School Name"(#"aux - buffer table", [ID]), Text.Type),
#"Filtered Shortest School Name" = Table.SelectRows(#"Invoked fx - Shortest School Name", each [Name] = [Shortest School Name]),
#"Removed Aux Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Shortest School Name",{"Shortest School Name"})
in
#"Removed Aux Columns"

Function - no further action required

(dataTable as table, schoolID as number) =>
let
Source = dataTable,
#"Filtered School ID" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([ID] = schoolID)),
#"Inserted Text Length" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered School ID", "Length", each Text.Length([Name]), Int64.Type),
#"Filtered shortest length" = Table.SelectRows(#"Inserted Text Length", each [Length] = List.Min({#"Inserted Text Length"[Length]}{0})),
Result = #"Filtered shortest length"[Name]{0}
in
Result

Cheers,

Flavio

FlavioMeneses_0-1656715551462.png @flaviomeneses

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors