Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

threw001
Helper I
Helper I

Manipulate table column / row with same ID

Hi guys,

I have the below Table A where the ID's are repeated based on the field 'Question Name'. For example Form ID A001 and A002 are repeated 5 times due to 5 questions being answered in the form. Form ID A003 is only repeated 4 times as the 'Question Name' 'Prefix' was never answered in Form ID A003.

I would like Power Query to Reorder the data as per Table B. I would like to handpick columns transposed, i.e. I would like a column for 'Hair Colour', 'Car Type', 'State' and 'Prefix'. I do not need the data field 'Country' so this does not have to be carried into Table B. Form ID A003 did not have a column entry for question name 'Prefix' and therefore this is null.

Is there a way to do this in PowerQuery? 

Thank you so much!

Table A

Form IDClient IDQuestion NameQuestion AnswerForm Submitted Date
A0011550Hair ColourBlack08/03/2024
A0011550Car TypeSedan08/03/2024
A0011550StateVIC08/03/2024
A0011550CountryAustralia08/03/2024
A0011550PrefixX1208/03/2024
A0021551Hair ColourWhite01/03/2024
A0021551Car TypeWagon01/03/2024
A0021551StateNSW01/03/2024
A0021551CountryAustralia01/03/2024
A0021551PrefixX1201/03/2024
A0031552Hair ColourGrey01/03/2024
A0031552Car TypeSedan01/03/2024
A0031552StateVIC01/03/2024
A0031552CountryAustralia01/03/2024

Table B

Form IDClient IDForm Submitted DateHair ColourCar TypeStatePrefix
A001155008/03/2024BlackSedanVICX12
A002155101/03/2024WhiteWagonNSWX12
A003155201/03/2024GreySedanVIC 
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @threw001 

Based on the solution @lbendlin  provided, You can try the following code.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Me\OneDrive -Me\Documents\SampleDataSetMultipleIDs.xlsx"), null, true),
 Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Form ID", type text}, {"Client ID", Int64.Type}, {"Question Name", type text}, {"Question Answer", type text}, {"Form Submitted Date", type date}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Question Name] <> "Country")),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Filtered Rows", List.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

If the solution helped, please consider to mark this way and the way  @lbendlin  offered as a solution.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

let
   Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Me\OneDrive -Me\Documents\SampleDataSetMultipleIDs.xlsx"), null, true),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Sheet1_Sheet, List.Distinct(Source[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

This is still missing the Promoted Headers stage but you get the point.  Power Query steps usually reference a prior step.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZHBCoJAEIZfRfYsOLsmdDUP1SUCIwPxMNRmS+LGtEK+fVsShMruaf6F7x/2Y8qSpQCchYwnCdixQUVBphvdkX2tGjzf7YRlBHEkQCxYFY4rGVJw6B/SxlxesPXxuUHzgY/bzLtad62h3qa0exrCRqGvsid5VS8bTlzMsmJg+US2uKnvv4A7Kn+yBda69fE/2V1eeFfPy7oqY9kJGw+smMiuSfa+xtxhXfzosM7VXtfqDQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Form ID" = _t, #"Client ID" = _t, #"Question Name" = _t, #"Question Answer" = _t, #"Form Submitted Date" = _t]),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Source, List.Distinct(Source[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done". Once you examined the code, replace the Source step with your own source.

This is amazing thank you so much!

Sorry for my low level of knowledge.. the source I will be using is an excel file in my one drive..

When I try to replace 

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZHBCoJAEIZfRfYsOLsmdDUP1SUCIwPxMNRmS+LGtEK+fVsShMruaf6F7x/2Y8qSpQCchYwnCdixQUVBphvdkX2tGjzf7YRlBHEkQCxYFY4rGVJw6B/SxlxesPXxuUHzgY/bzLtad62h3qa0exrCRqGvsid5VS8bTlzMsmJg+US2uKnvv4A7Kn+yBda69fE/2V1eeFfPy7oqY9kJGw+smMiuSfa+xtxhXfzosM7VXtfqDQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate))

With the below it doesnt work 😞

Below is the full code I am using and it is giving me - Syntax error, token identifer expected

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Me\OneDrive - Me\Documents\SampleDataSetMultipleIDs.xlsx"), null, true),
    let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Form ID" = _t, #"Client ID" = _t, #"Question Name" = _t, #"Question Answer" = _t, #"Form Submitted Date" = _t]),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Source, List.Distinct(Source[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Are you able to provide an example code where you a directly linking from an excel document please?

Thank you so much

let
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Sheet1_Sheet, List.Distinct(Source[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

This is still missing the Promoted Headers stage but you get the point.  Power Query steps usually reference a prior step.

Hi @threw001 

Based on the solution @lbendlin  provided, You can try the following code.

let
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Form ID", type text}, {"Client ID", Int64.Type}, {"Question Name", type text}, {"Question Answer", type text}, {"Form Submitted Date", type date}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Question Name] <> "Country")),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Filtered Rows", List.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows"[#"Question Name"]), "Question Name", "Question Answer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

If the solution helped, please consider to mark this way and the way  @lbendlin  offered as a solution.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked perfectly guys - thank you so much!!!!

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @threw001 

You can try the following code.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZHBCoJAEIZfRfYsOLsmdDUP1SUCIwPxMNRmS+LGtEK+fVsShMruaf6F7x/2Y8qSpQCchYwnCdixQUVBphvdkX2tGjzf7YRlBHEkQCxYFY4rGVJw6B/SxlxesPXxuUHzgY/bzLtad62h3qa0exrCRqGvsid5VS8bTlzMsmJg+US2uKnvv4A7Kn+yBda69fE/2V1eeFfPy7oqY9kJGw+smMiuSfa+xtxhXfzosM7VXtfqDQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Form ID" = _t, #"Client ID" = _t, #"Question Name" = _t, #"Question Answer" = _t, #"Form Submitted Date" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Form ID", type text}, {"Client ID", Int64.Type}, {"Question Name", type text}, {"Question Answer", type text}, {"Form Submitted Date", type date}}),
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1709865267383.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors