Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bas565
Regular Visitor

How to append Excel sheets with wildcard

Hi,

I'm used to Tableau where i can use a wildcard union option to combine data. (In this case all sheets that start "DATA*" in the file). The Append function in Power BI seems like i have to manually select the sheets. I think i can probably use M Code to make it dynamic but am not sure how. (Each month the User adds a new tab of data E.g. DATA Mar 23). 
= Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", #"Data"*})  editing the M-Code to something like this doesn't work. 

I have used a web link to connect to an Excel file on Sharepoint. 

There's also an option in Tableau, that i can't work out in Power BI to add the Path as a column. Eg. to differentiate between each appended table, so would show the Month Year. In the example above would get DATA Mar 23 as the column contents for that part of the table.

Many Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @bas565 ,

*EDIT* The method is slightly different for SharePoint, but the priciple is the same. See end for details.

Connect to your workbook in Power Query and select just one tab to import. Once imported, you will see a few query steps that have been auto-generated, like this:

BA_Pete_0-1683281670964.png

Delete all the steps except the Source step. This will get you back to a table representation of the workbook, with each tab being its own row.

You can filter the [Name] column using Text Filters > Begins With "DATA":

BA_Pete_1-1683281962225.png

This should filter your workbook table to just these tabs.

Then you can go ahead and click to expand the [Data] column to automatically append all these tabs:

BA_Pete_2-1683282055514.png

*EDIT* SharePoint method:

Use this connection string as your Source step (with your own details, obvs):

BA_Pete_0-1683283747338.png

This should give you the full file list of your SP files. Again, you can filter on [Folder Path] and [Name] to get the file you need.

Once you've identified the file you want, then click on the green 'Binary' word to get to your tab list table.

BA_Pete_1-1683283862023.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bas565
Regular Visitor

That worked. Thanks!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @bas565 ,

*EDIT* The method is slightly different for SharePoint, but the priciple is the same. See end for details.

Connect to your workbook in Power Query and select just one tab to import. Once imported, you will see a few query steps that have been auto-generated, like this:

BA_Pete_0-1683281670964.png

Delete all the steps except the Source step. This will get you back to a table representation of the workbook, with each tab being its own row.

You can filter the [Name] column using Text Filters > Begins With "DATA":

BA_Pete_1-1683281962225.png

This should filter your workbook table to just these tabs.

Then you can go ahead and click to expand the [Data] column to automatically append all these tabs:

BA_Pete_2-1683282055514.png

*EDIT* SharePoint method:

Use this connection string as your Source step (with your own details, obvs):

BA_Pete_0-1683283747338.png

This should give you the full file list of your SP files. Again, you can filter on [Folder Path] and [Name] to get the file you need.

Once you've identified the file you want, then click on the green 'Binary' word to get to your tab list table.

BA_Pete_1-1683283862023.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors