Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RichardSm

Get a customer's penultimate sales date

I have a sales table that has all sales with date and customer information. I referenced this table and grouped the sales by customer and I needed to get the penultimate sales date. I can't think of a way with better performance, I tested it with gpt, but it had horrible performance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do a summarize by date. Grab the TOPN 2 DESC.  from that grab the TOPN 1 ASC.

View solution in original post

v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichardSm 

@lbendlin provides a DAX solution idea. If you want a Power Query solution, you can try my approach as below.

I group the data by customer, then sort by date descendingly, and add an Index column then. The row with number 2 is the penultimate sales date record for each customer. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc1BCsAgDATAv+QspFkjxaP6DPH/36gVA430sodh2e2dhMG4oBSolBlCI7yafhQcTWv9dLNTXRqPhbQVatzaDCxWFji+9x+iYzuUfI6MBw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Customer = _t, Sales = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Customer", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}}),
    // Group by customer, sort by date descendingly, add an Index column
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Customer"}, {{"AllData", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_, {"Date", Order.Descending}), "SalesDateIndex", 1, 1), type table [Date=nullable date, Customer=nullable text, Sales=nullable number]}}),
    #"Expanded AllData" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AllData", {"Date", "Sales", "SalesDateIndex"}, {"Date", "Sales", "SalesDateIndex"})
in
    #"Expanded AllData"

vjingzhanmsft_0-1713839802997.png

You can then use a DAX formula to get the penultimate date for each customer where its index is 2. For instance,

penultimate date = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),'Table'[SalesDateIndex]=2)

vjingzhanmsft_1-1713840582574.png

This may calculate faster. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichardSm 

@lbendlin provides a DAX solution idea. If you want a Power Query solution, you can try my approach as below.

I group the data by customer, then sort by date descendingly, and add an Index column then. The row with number 2 is the penultimate sales date record for each customer. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc1BCsAgDATAv+QspFkjxaP6DPH/36gVA430sodh2e2dhMG4oBSolBlCI7yafhQcTWv9dLNTXRqPhbQVatzaDCxWFji+9x+iYzuUfI6MBw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Customer = _t, Sales = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Customer", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}}),
    // Group by customer, sort by date descendingly, add an Index column
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Customer"}, {{"AllData", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_, {"Date", Order.Descending}), "SalesDateIndex", 1, 1), type table [Date=nullable date, Customer=nullable text, Sales=nullable number]}}),
    #"Expanded AllData" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AllData", {"Date", "Sales", "SalesDateIndex"}, {"Date", "Sales", "SalesDateIndex"})
in
    #"Expanded AllData"

vjingzhanmsft_0-1713839802997.png

You can then use a DAX formula to get the penultimate date for each customer where its index is 2. For instance,

penultimate date = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),'Table'[SalesDateIndex]=2)

vjingzhanmsft_1-1713840582574.png

This may calculate faster. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

A better solution is to use OFFSET or INDEX window functions.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do a summarize by date. Grab the TOPN 2 DESC.  from that grab the TOPN 1 ASC.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors