Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Add Leading Zeros within String

Hi experts!

I have a column with year and week information in this format:

Year-Week
2022-01
2023-03
2023-3
2023-5

As you can see for the week number there are cases without any leading zero.

How can I add this missing information with PQ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Insert this statement 

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [#"Year-Week"], each if Text.Length(Text.AfterDelimiter([#"Year-Week"],"-"))=1 then Text.ReplaceRange([#"Year-Week"],5,1,Text.PadStart(Text.End([#"Year-Week"],1),2,"0")) else [#"Year-Week"], Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Year-Week"})

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Beck
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi -

Here is one solution. 

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtI1MFSK1YGxjWFsY10kpqlSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Year-Week" = _t]),

NewVal = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {"Year-Week", each if Text.Length(_) = 6 then Text.Insert( _,5,"0") else _})
in
NewVal

We are calling Table.TransformColumns, and for each entry checking the length. If the length is too short (i.e. 6 characters) we call Text.Insert on the value and insert a "0", otherwise return the original. 

Hope this helps -

Peter

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Insert this statement 

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [#"Year-Week"], each if Text.Length(Text.AfterDelimiter([#"Year-Week"],"-"))=1 then Text.ReplaceRange([#"Year-Week"],5,1,Text.PadStart(Text.End([#"Year-Week"],1),2,"0")) else [#"Year-Week"], Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Year-Week"})
serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

you can split your column by delimiter -

serpiva64_0-1678642945266.png

then add a custom column

serpiva64_1-1678643051790.png

and merge again your column

serpiva64_2-1678643096466.png

If this post is useful to help you to solve your issue, consider giving the post a thumbs up and accepting it as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors