Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Options for input forms in sharepoint

Hi

I am looking for some advice.  We have some existing word/excel templates that we would like to make electronic but have a few requirements

Some of the data is held centrally on a spreadsheet (this can be changed to a Sharepoint list if needed)

- when a person opens the form and selects a number from the drop down we would like it to pull the information into the form.

- the person will then complete the rest of the form

- when the form is complete we would like it to save the form in the location that the person selected from the drop down on Sharepoint or accessible from Sharepoint.

i have carried out some research and found limitations with some of the solutions provided and was wondering if this forum would be able to assist me better

- what form options work best with Sharepoint and would meet the criteria above for pre population and storing/accessible on sharepoint

Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Anna

1 REPLY 1
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you want a SharePoint list - these come with a form with all the fields you add to it. If you want it to "pull" related data when something is selected in a dropdown, you likely want to use a "lookup" column type, these "lookup" to another SharePoint list which can have multiple fields associated with them. Lists can also have standard text dropdown fields, these are called "choice" fields. 

The advantage of SharePoint lists over MS Forms is that you can edit them after they're submitted. They're also really convenient for adding Power Automate flows on - so sending notification on status changes and that sort of thing. I did a video on how to make forms with SharePoint lists here, it's a pretty quick process: https://youtu.be/Lnl8jKx1THI?si=jw6QD8HgTAhbeoVk

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.