Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sebastianriemer
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI reports not included in linked Azure Devops git repository

I have a Fabric workspace, with git integration setup. In my Azure DevOps git repository, I see files linked to these types of workspace items:

• Lakehouses
  • Notebooks
  • DataPipelines

As we have to move the workspace to the customers different Microsoft tenant, we plan on pushing everything to the repo, and then pull and push it to the Azure DevOps repository of the customer. Therefor I would like our Power BI reports to be also included in the git repository.

According to these sites, I got the impression that reports should be included already:

In my workspace, in the column "Git status" next to my Power BI reports there also is the indication "Synced". However there is no change indication in the "Source control" pull-down menu, and I am not able to commit anything. I have created a new report, and it is immediately labelled as "Synced" but nothing is beeing commited or pushed to the Azure DevOps repository.

Some more info: 

• We use dataware house, and the tables in the semantic model use "DirectLake"
  • We create and manage everything in Power BI web (in other words, we do not work in Power BI Desktop)
  • the ending of our Power BI reports is .PBIX when downloaded
  • When trying to download a copy of the reports, (edit it locally in Power BI Desktop) and publishing it with another name, the Power BI report in the Fabric workspace is broken and cannot be openend (This would have been my try on a workaround in order to move the reports later on), the error message shown is:

Cannot load model

Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID: ***
Request ID: ***
Correlation ID: ***
Time: Tue Apr 16 2024 11:38:59 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)
Service version: 13.0.23072.58
Client version: 2404.2.18827-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-germany-west-central-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Note, that when saving the report locally, I could only choose "A copy of your report with a live connection to data online (.pbix)" as option.

Can you please provide some guidance, on both, how can I get the Power BI reports to be part of the git repository, and why republishing a downloaded report cannot be opened?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sebastianriemer ,

Apologize for the issue you are facing. The best course of action is to open a support ticket and have our support team take a closer look at it.

Please reach out to our support team so they can do a more thorough investigation on why this it is happening: Link 

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other queries.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sebastianriemer ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Hi @sebastianriemer ,

Apologize for the issue you are facing. The best course of action is to open a support ticket and have our support team take a closer look at it.

Please reach out to our support team so they can do a more thorough investigation on why this it is happening: Link 

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other queries.

sebastianriemer
Advocate I
Advocate I

Some additional info:

• when saving the report in Power BI Desktop, I can either choose
    • pbix
    • pbip
    • pbit
  • Publishing these show differences in that
    • pbix comes along with its own semantic model, which seems strange and unwanted, since the original report is using a different model; the git status is "Uncommited" for both of these files, but since I cannot open the report I of course also don't want to add it to git
    • pbip can be openend and seems intact; however the git status, as with the original report is immediately "Synced" so I do not know how to add it to git
    • pbit asks me, to first save the report (before publishing it), where i have to go with PBIX-format (as pbit i guess, seems to be only a template format)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors