Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Fabric + Azure Log Analytics (Azure Monitor)

Hi,

I am curious about Azure Log Analytics (Azure Monitor). I have never used it. Will it provide some benefits if used together with Fabric?

I read that Azure Log Analytics can be used to collect telemetry about Power BI Semantic Models. 

Can it not be used to collect telemetry about Power BI Dataflows?

How about other Fabric items?

I am wondering if it would make sense to use it in addition to the Fabric Capacity Metrics App.

Thank you! 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @frithjof_v 
Thanks for using Fabric Community. Apologies for the delay in response.

Azure Log Analytics, part of Azure Monitor, is a powerful tool that collects and analyzes telemetry from various sources. It can provide valuable insights into your applications and services, helping you maximize their availability and performance.

When used with Microsoft Fabric, Azure Log Analytics can track user activities, which can be critical for meeting regulatory compliance and records management requirements. 
Track user activities in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Regarding Power BI, you can indeed create a Power BI semantic model directly from a Log Analytics query. This semantic model can be used to create reports, analyze in Excel, and more. 
Create a semantic model from Log Analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

But we cannot collect telemetry about Power BI dataflows.

vnikhilanmsft_0-1713771154221.png

Using Azure Log Analytics in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The Fabric Capacity Metrics App is another useful tool. It provides monitoring capabilities for Microsoft Fabric capacities, helping you monitor your capacity consumption and make informed decisions on how to use your capacity resources. 
You can also generate a log which is recorded in the log analytics linked to the workspace using Notebooks as replied here Solved: Notebook Logs - Microsoft Fabric Community

In conclusion, using Azure Log Analytics in conjunction with the Fabric Capacity Metrics App could provide a more comprehensive view of your Fabric environment.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @v-nikhilan-msft,

Is Service Fabric related to Microsoft Fabric?

I thought not. But I don't have experience with Service Fabric.

Hi @frithjof_v 

Apologies, Service Fabric is different from Microsoft Fabric. 

frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you @v-nikhilan-msft !

This is interesting information 😃

I am also curious to hear if anyone have practical experience with this, and the use cases. If you are using Log analytics, please do leave a reply and tell about your use cases 😃

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @frithjof_v 
Thanks for using Fabric Community. Apologies for the delay in response.

Azure Log Analytics, part of Azure Monitor, is a powerful tool that collects and analyzes telemetry from various sources. It can provide valuable insights into your applications and services, helping you maximize their availability and performance.

When used with Microsoft Fabric, Azure Log Analytics can track user activities, which can be critical for meeting regulatory compliance and records management requirements. 
Track user activities in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Regarding Power BI, you can indeed create a Power BI semantic model directly from a Log Analytics query. This semantic model can be used to create reports, analyze in Excel, and more. 
Create a semantic model from Log Analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

But we cannot collect telemetry about Power BI dataflows.

vnikhilanmsft_0-1713771154221.png

Using Azure Log Analytics in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The Fabric Capacity Metrics App is another useful tool. It provides monitoring capabilities for Microsoft Fabric capacities, helping you monitor your capacity consumption and make informed decisions on how to use your capacity resources. 
You can also generate a log which is recorded in the log analytics linked to the workspace using Notebooks as replied here Solved: Notebook Logs - Microsoft Fabric Community

In conclusion, using Azure Log Analytics in conjunction with the Fabric Capacity Metrics App could provide a more comprehensive view of your Fabric environment.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors