Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

chris1234512
Frequent Visitor

tracking real estate data

I have generic property level information (Property Name, address, size, property type, sf, etc.) that I'd like to filter in power bi. In addition to this, I have property level financials which correlate to each Property Name. I'd like to be able to filter by date as these will change throughout time (2023 Revenue for property name A vs 2022 Revenue for property name A as an example). Should I have two fact tables to get this done? IE one for the property level information and one for the financial information? The info will be pulled from basic excel spreadsheets. Here's what I currently have.

chris1234512_0-1695826750821.png

chris1234512_1-1695826829636.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! It sounds like your financial table should serve as the fact table and the property table would be the dimension table that can be used to filter. You would connect the Property Dim table to the Financial Fact table usining a key for the property and a Date table would also connect to Financial table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! It sounds like your financial table should serve as the fact table and the property table would be the dimension table that can be used to filter. You would connect the Property Dim table to the Financial Fact table usining a key for the property and a Date table would also connect to Financial table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello, I'm running into a similar scenario. I have different property types (Multifamily, retail, office etc). With some of their own unique property information. Should all of these property types be in one dimension sheet? Or would it be more efficient to have one sheet for multifamily, one for retail, etc. The idea would be then to link them to a financial sheet that includes sales data (A property sold on xyz date for $abc). I'm leaning towards 1 dimension sheet with a column specifiying which property type it is. There will be some "blanks" for certain property types (Multifamily has 'units' but retail only has 'total square footage' for the size of the property). Any thoughts? Happy to send screen shots/discuss further for clarity.

Hi,

Based on the limited informatin that you hve shared, there should be 1 Dim table for all property types.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

This is too smart! Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.