Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Tribunal
Regular Visitor

Weekly metric snapshots

Cheers all!

I have some OData feeds that are continuously updated from MS vulnerability feeds.  This is a new way we are tracking.  When I do this manually, I have a spreadsheet and document the numbers of Critical, High, etc. every week and then create a graph.

Example:

DateCriticalHighMediumLow
5/6/247142128
5/13/245101520

Now that I am using PowerBI with constant feeds, how can I create the above in a visual?  There is nothing in the tables that organizes them like this since it's always updating.  There is a "First seen" and "Last seen" field that I have been trying to key off of but I've quickly learned those dates can't be trusted in any way.

Is there a way to take like a point-in-time snapshot at each week interval and have it record the numbers in a visual, so that it updates automatically every week by adding the new week's date and numbers?  Hope this makes sense.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tribunal ,

Based on the description, you might be able to use power bi helper to get snapshots.

vjiewumsft_0-1715737505331.png

You can view the following documents to learn more information.

Scheduled Snapshot of the Power BI Data and Report - RADACAD

Solved: "Snapshot" of Power BI Report data - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Create measure or table with weekly trends from a ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tribunal
Regular Visitor

Thank you, those links really helped me learn the logic behind it which allowed me to frankenstein my own solution. 

For future reference to others, I created a workflow via Power Automate that updated an Excel table in Sharepoint based on the source table (easy to find tutorials on YouTube) .  Then created measures for each severity and added them to a separate table, then created a graph visual.  So when I click on the Power Automate button every Monday, it adds the date and number of Criticals, Highs, etc. in a new row of the Excel file, which then updates the table in PowerBI. 

I'm sure this is a very amateur way of doing it but it got the job done.

Breakdown:

Here is the source table (direct feeds from the vuln scanner):

Tribunal_1-1715795898272.png

Here is the table of measurements, which are all measures from the table above in the vulnerabilitySeverityLevel, which has one of the four severity labels in each row (which is why I had to create a measure).  Note:  I did not use the Date field since the workflow gives you an option to add that, so you can ignore it):

Tribunal_0-1715795830253.png

Here is what the Power Automate workflow looks like (The severities all point to each individual measure from the Metrics table above):

Tribunal_2-1715796075874.png

Two things to always remember...1. When creating a Power Automate button in PowerBI, make sure you have already added the fields/measurements you want to use in the "Power Automate data" box, I had to delete a workflow and button and redo it multiple times because I kept forgetting that step and it doesn't seem to automatically refresh if you add/remove and 2) Make sure your Excel file is a table (Insert > Table)...or it will not give you the right headings within the workflow.

One issue I can't figure out is how to make the workflow add a timestamp that is only the date and not the date, time, etc.

I'd love to find a way to make this fully automated on a schedule but the more I try to create it, the more confused I get and things keep breaking.

v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tribunal ,

Based on the description, you might be able to use power bi helper to get snapshots.

vjiewumsft_0-1715737505331.png

You can view the following documents to learn more information.

Scheduled Snapshot of the Power BI Data and Report - RADACAD

Solved: "Snapshot" of Power BI Report data - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Create measure or table with weekly trends from a ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.