Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ollie_mills
Helper I
Helper I

The column 'product_brand' specified in the 'SUMMARIZE' function was not found in the input table

This one has got me scratching my head - the measure causing this error is this - product_brand isn't specified in the summarize...in fact it's not used anywhere in the report (the column is in the central model for other reports, but not this one - i've checked the query generated in perf analyzer when i interact with the table and product_brand is nowhere in the generated DAX query). This is the measure causing the error when i drag it into the table:

New Grade | Paid Value After at Before Rate = 
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'report v_t2r_trade_order_line',
        'report v_t2r_slim_products'[model],
        'report v_t2r_trade_order_line'[Warehouse Grade],
        "_1", [New Grade | Average Unit Value Before] * [New Grade | Paid Units After]
    ),
    [_1]
)

Weirdly, if I add the components of this measure into a table, the model recognises all the relationships and works (i've blurred the actual data):
tempsnip.png

I know that the measure [New Grade | Paid Units After] is causing the issue within the summarize, because if i remove it, the measure works. So let's look at this measure...

New Grade | Paid Units After = 
    CALCULATE (
        [Paid Unit Volume],
        filter(Calender, Calender[Date] >= [Comparison Period Start Date] && Calender[Date] <= [Comparison Period End Date])
    )

Paid unit volume is this:

Paid Unit Volume = 
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'report v_t2r_trade_order_line'[line_id] ),
    'report v_t2r_trade_order'[Payment Attempted] = TRUE (),
    'report v_t2r_trade_order_line'[status_flags_has_rejected] = 0 //Payment attempted is at order level, but there can be lines that the customer rejects
)

Comparison Period Start/End Date is like this:

Comparison Period Start Date = 
    SWITCH(TRUE(),
SELECTEDVALUE('Grade Comparison Periods'[Comparison Period]) = "11/07/23 - 22/07/23", date(2023, 7, 11),
SELECTEDVALUE('Grade Comparison Periods'[Comparison Period]) = "23/07/23 - 22/08/23", date(2023, 7, 23),
SELECTEDVALUE('Grade Comparison Periods'[Comparison Period]) = "23/08/23 - today", date(2023, 8, 23)
)

This is referencing a disconnected table - note: I get the exact same error if I use a 2nd date table with inactive relationship, and activate this using userelationship(). The reason for all this is, the majority of the report uses the primary date table to calculate all sorts of metrics 'before' the company made a major change to the product line - these comparison periods are then used to compare the same metrics, after the change (and over several periods, as additional changes were made).

I could solve this using bookmarks, and a set of measures for each metric, and comparison period, but I thought it would be nicer to setup a disconnected table, with the periods so that the comparison happens on the fly as the user clicks through the different periods. 

ollie_mills_0-1694509006135.png

The report is connected on Mixed storage mode - the majority of the data coming from a power bi dataset, and a couple of import mode tables. I've found this community post which seems to be the same issue and has not been solved: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Dual-Mode-Inconsistency/m-p/1971317 and another here: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Column-in-SUMMARIZE-function-was-not-found-in-the-... really lost on this one as I have no idea why product_brand is even being referenced in the error, it is not being used as a visual level filter anywhere in the report, it's almost as if the query being sent to the model is implicitly using it in a group by or summarize (thinking in SQL when you do a group by "all") - but looking at the sql profiler logs and the perf analyzer dax query, i can't see product_brand being used anywhere.

Any thoughts or ideas to explore greatly appreciated - this one is really frustrating me!

1 REPLY 1
ollie_mills
Helper I
Helper I

Here's a mockup of what i'm trying to achieve - this is working as expected, and is what I would consider quite a simple problem so I'm perplexed at why I keep getting the same error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UfJi517o19zlDyzPYw_hqAquBZ3uYWBx/view

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.