Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting the Month year column

Hi

I have the below table

jason2000_0-1626995164246.png

I don't have the separate date column as this data is very small. My data is based on the calendar year. I sort the month year based on month number and visualize the month year vs value, getting below graph

jason2000_1-1626995271671.png

jason2000_2-1626995306906.png

My axis (mont year) is not sorting. I have the data from June 2021 - April 2022. This is monthly data. My data source is excel, and next month we change the data and it becomes July 20222 - April 2022. 

I need to sort this month's year in the graph (June 2021 - April 2022) and also ensure it sorts automatically if the date is updated.

Could you please advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous you need to set the "sort by" column for your Month-Year column to "MonthNumber".

From Data view, select the "Month-Year" column and set the "Sort By" column to "MonthNumber".

EDIT - you may also want to create a column in the format YYYYMM which combines year and monthnumber, and sort by this column instead.  That will enable proper sorting across calendar years.

Below is an example with a similar dataset.

ebeery_0-1626995702028.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
alexPowerBi1

The marked solution does not work.

you need to use the following method, by multiplying the Year by 100 + number of month..

here is a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq5WOmo94_Q&ab_channel=BILand

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous you need to set the "sort by" column for your Month-Year column to "MonthNumber".

From Data view, select the "Month-Year" column and set the "Sort By" column to "MonthNumber".

EDIT - you may also want to create a column in the format YYYYMM which combines year and monthnumber, and sort by this column instead.  That will enable proper sorting across calendar years.

Below is an example with a similar dataset.

ebeery_0-1626995702028.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.