Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JohnST

Slicer interaction help, can one slicer cause another to select a pre determined or just first value

I have two slicers, one for the Regions, and another to chose the specific county within that region.  If I select the APAC region and select Australia then I change the Region to Americas it will take away the options for India and New Zealand (as it should as they are not in the Americas region) and add the options for Canada and USA, however the option for Australia is still there because that was the last choice selected.  If I select USA the option for Australia will then disappear.  What I want to happen when select a new region is for it to only show options within that region, I don’t care if it selects nothing or just picks the first option.  Is there anyway to fix this or is it just a quirk of Power BI?

Regions hierarchy

APAC

-India

-New Zealand

-Australia

Americas

-Canada

-USA

Europe

-UK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JohnST 

Thanks for the solution @ToddChitt  provided, and after testing, this is related to the design of Power BI, so if you want to choose a different region every time you have selected a region and a country, you need to know the previous options before you choose.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1712300928275.png

Or you can consider to use the hierarchy slicer, put the region and country to the same slicer.

vxinruzhumsft_1-1712300996128.png

But when you select the region it will select all the countries , so after select the region, you need to uncheck the countries that you don't need to.

vxinruzhumsft_2-1712301085379.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JohnST 

Thanks for the solution @ToddChitt  provided, and after testing, this is related to the design of Power BI, so if you want to choose a different region every time you have selected a region and a country, you need to know the previous options before you choose.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1712300928275.png

Or you can consider to use the hierarchy slicer, put the region and country to the same slicer.

vxinruzhumsft_1-1712300996128.png

But when you select the region it will select all the countries , so after select the region, you need to uncheck the countries that you don't need to.

vxinruzhumsft_2-1712301085379.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Are the data elements in two different tables, or one? Almost sounds like you have a Country attribute and a Region attribute that are independent, and both can filter the same table. You should strive for a single geography dimension table that has both country and region:

Country     Region

=====      =====

UK              Europe

Canada      Americas

USA           Americas

Now create a hierarchy in that table using Region and Country, and add that as a slicer to your page. That way, someone can select ONLY USA, or they can select Americas and that gets them both USA and Canada.

Hope that helps

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.