Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Share your thoughts on visual calculations (preview)

Hit "Reply" and let us know what you think of visual calculations! To learn more about this feature, please visit the blog post or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• errors / issues you are experiencing
  • functionality that is missing / does not work as you expected that is not listed as limitations in our documentation.
  • suggestions on governance capabilities
  • sorting behavior of visual and visual matrix

Thanks and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

141 REPLIES 141
pablobarra
Advocate I
Advocate I

This new feature is very good. I see that it allows calculations at the column level.
Is it planned to have calculations at the row level?

I am thinking of Profit and Loss reports where we want to see a value like EBITDA or Total Income or Margin.

thanks for the feedback. visual calculations are column only at the moment and we're not planning to have calculations at the row level at the moment.

DanielBaretta54

Eu fiz o gráfico e funcionou certo. Apenas quando foi publicado ele deu erro nos visuais que foi usado os cálculos visuais. Apresenta este erro "Não foi possível carregar os dados para este visual". Oque poderia ser?

I am so sorry about this. I am not sure what is going on. can you share some screenshots or errors maybe?

aomsbansal
Frequent Visitor

I have couple of thoughts on Visual calculations:

1. How to use Visual Calculations with Field Parameters. I want to enable some calculations on visual based the selected value in field parameter. For example: I have a,b,c and d visual calculation on visual. I have setup a field parameter with slicer values a,b,c and d. 

So when a user select a and c from the slicer, user should see respective columns on visual. 

2. How it will work with matrix visual with nested columns. For example in below table i have Sales and Qty numbers for FY and FY-1 and i want to get (FY) + (FY-1) using visual calculations that would sum up the values of Sales and Qty for FY and FY-1. Is this currently supported?

FY FY-1 (FY) + (FY-1) 
CountrySalesQtySalesQtySalesQty
India4353453434775379
China54564545641090128
USA344334346877
France6645644370688
Germany46454345480508

hello, field parameters are not supported at this time.

What are your thoughts about point 2? 
@jeroenterheerdt 

you should be able to do this with expand / collapse. Documentation is still being published for those.

nielsvdc
Frequent Visitor

Hi @jeroenterheerdt ,

Currently the visual calcualtion documentation links mentioned in your visual calculation and the monthly Power BI blog posts are still unavailable.

Hello @nielsvdc ,

check this https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/visual-calculations-preview/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

I know. But for example the link mentioned in the post for the RUNNINGSUM function is not working.

the docs are still coming online, but I expect those to start working soon.

Frankie_Vannini
Advocate I
Advocate I

Just 2 questions:
Is it possible to calculate the YoY % or MoM % trend, while I have the year/month as a legend in the graph?
in the runningsum calculation, if I have a YoY comparison is it possible to show in full data related to last year while only YTD/MTD for current year? (to avoid to have a flat line with latest value until the end of selected period)

can you maybe share a screenshot of what you're seeing and what you want to do?

joris
Frequent Visitor

I'm missing the ability for conditional formatting. Does it work differently, or will this be added later? 

will come - it's on the list of limitations.

This is a very cool feature, once conditional formatting is added (I use it on certain columns in a few matrix visuals) this will be a major performance boon for my reports that are aggregating and filtering millions of rows. The overhead of calculating a change % and doing it again for the formatting is a killer, moving that to the high-level view users see will be amazing.

GGA
Frequent Visitor

Hello @jeroenterheerdt 

From my quick tests the two mains limitations I experiment is that
- it's not compatible yet with Field Parameters
- I am trying to replicate ABC Calculation (pareto) but it's not possible as we need to order by quantities ascending 

Otherwise this new feature seems promising. thanks for the hard work 😉

@GGA - Hopefully this helps you with the Pareto analysis:

mark_endicott_0-1708446436838.png

field parameters are not supported yet. can you show me exactly what you're trying to do with the pareto?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.