Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PavelStaff
Frequent Visitor

Severe Perfomance issue in Power BI Desktop

Hi, everyone.

For the second time in my career as an analyst I face the severe Perfomance issue in Power BI Desktop. At some point of time the Power BI Report after I make changes (create or delete calculated column, create or delete measure, create or delete connection between tables, load new data from Power Query) Ram starts gowing up for about 15 minutes and takes up all 32 gb. It stays like this for a few minutes more and complete the changes. For now I don't have any idea why this occur. Does anybody have the idea how to solve this issue?

Thanks everyone for the help. Have a nice day. 

PavelStaff_0-1706189784351.png

2 REPLIES 2
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @PavelStaff ,

it depends on your model, how you built it.

- make sure to build it as a star schema https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

- make sure to remove columns that you don't need.

- Apply grouping if possible.

- Don't keep it running on desktop when you finish working.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi, Idrissshatila. 

Thanks for your recommendations. I eventually found the error in my model. I wrote really inefficient code to create the calculated column. Each time I made any changes it seems to recalculate which cause the Power BI to apply each change for so long. After I corrected the code in this calculated column it started working as expected.

Thanks again and have a nice day. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.