Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Set Default Selection for Slicer in Dashboard

Hi there, 

I have a dashboard that uses 2 filters to select what is displayed in a donut chart. 

Please see the image below.

• Filter 1 - chooses which recipe card to visualise
  • Filter 2 - shows the list of materials relevant to the selected recipe card. The different materials can be selected, updating the donut chart [3]

malhib_0-1621338511234.png

How can I have it so Filter 2 auto-selects default materials based on the selected recipe?

The data we are working with looks like the following: 

malhib_0-1621338409157.png

Many thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your data sample, I see that for R1, you have values as L, L1, L2, W, W1, W2, S, S1, S2.

Therefore when you select R1 in your 1st filter, the 2nd filter shows relevant values. So 2nd filter is by-default showing materials based on the recipe selected in 1st filter.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pragati, 

Sorry I should have made clear that I want the second slicer auto-populated with the materials that are flagged as Default (please see the Def/Sub column in the table). 

The idea being then, that the user can deselect default materials in a recipe and choose substitutes. 

Many thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't think this is currently possible to achieve. You will have go by the route of using an additional slicer for Def/Sub.

One workaround can be to use a BOOKMARK on this page and make it's default state to only show DEF related materials on this page.

I wrote a blog sometime back on how to use bookmarks/buttons to give filters a default selection on report.
https://datavibe.co.uk/f/set-up-default-filters-in-power-bi

Look at the 2nd way in this blog. See if it helps.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could this bookmark selection scale as new "Recipes" are added over time?

Say for example a user adds a new Recipe and then selects that recipe in the dashboard. Would the bookmark selection know automatically to pre-select the "default" materials in the slicer?

HI @Anonymous ,

No bookmarks are not dynamic in that way. You will need to update bookmark state with selection on these new values that are introduced in your data.

If that is the case, I would suggest go with creating a new slicer aooroach rather than bookmark approach.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much Pragati11. 

I will review this and reply back later. 

Many thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.