Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Rejoin previously splitted dataset and report utility

Hi all,

is anyone aware of any tool able to do this? Practically I need the opposite of:

PBI_hlpr1_0-1699538326813.png

is there anything ready? Cutting and pasting all visuals back to the dataset pbix will take a lot and in addition will not trasfer all options.

The reason why I want to rejoinn the two pbix is because I want to do some admin: clean and armonise column names, remove unused colums, etc. For doing this I planned to use Bravo but if I am not wrong it requires a complete PBIX file.

Thanks for help.

C.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

Try to save the Dataset file as .pbip

Then do the same for the Report file.

Then try to overwrite the report folder of the dataset file with the one from the report.

Let me know if it worked.

View solution in original post

You need to understand that the folders are tied to that .pbip

That is why I want you to overwrite the files inside the report folder in the dataset folder.

Basically you are overwriting the "report" of the dataset - which there is none - with the actualy report (the report folder of your report.pbix/pbip)

and then you launch the .pbip of that dataset (where you overwrote the report folder).

if that does not work out of the box you should check the following:

The definition .pbir file in the report folder mentions the dataset, make sure this path/name is correctly pointing to the new dataset/has its name

{
"version": "1.0",
"datasetReference": {
"byPath": {
"path": "../Sales Report.Dataset"
},
"byConnection": null
}
}

i hope it is now 100% clear what we are trying to do here.

this .pbip format is nothing else but splitting the .pbix into report and dataset and then you get 2x the whole thing basically

and if we do this to your 2x .pbix files and then somehow put it back together, i would expect it to work.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

Try to save the Dataset file as .pbip

Then do the same for the Report file.

Then try to overwrite the report folder of the dataset file with the one from the report.

Let me know if it worked.

Hi @Brunner_BI  maybe you meant .pbit (PBI templates)?

If that is the case I have saved both model and report pbix into that format. Can you better define now what you mean with: 

?

Hi @Brunner_BI , I did not even know of this new feature... Had to activate it in options but it work perfectly!! 

Many thanks indeed!

Regards,

C.

If you save a file to .pbip you get this

Brunner_BI_0-1699540939320.png

I want you to do that for your dataset file and your report file separately.

And then you overwrite the "Report" folder of your dataset file with the "Report" folder of the report file and see if you can then open the .pbip in Power BI Desktop and everything will work?

Hi again @Brunner_BI 

I am afraid I was too fast celebrating... When I open the new pbip file I can actually see all visuals but I do not see the dataset:

PBI_hlpr1_0-1699544155228.png

What is wrong here?

I have notice that if you then open the new .pbip file in PBI Desktop everything is together and you have the model and the visuals together:

I cannot follow, you are saying in Power BI Desktop it is working?

No, it isn't.

I saved my dataset pbix as pbip and got one file dataset.pbip and two folders:

dataset.dataset

dataset.report

I made the same with the reports file and gor report.pbip and two folders:

report.dataset

report.report

I eliminated the folder dataset.report and renamed the folder report.report into dataset.report

Then I opened dataset.pbip expecting to get all in there and instead I got the report (all visuals) and just the connection to the dataset. 

Hope I have made it clearer.

You need to understand that the folders are tied to that .pbip

That is why I want you to overwrite the files inside the report folder in the dataset folder.

Basically you are overwriting the "report" of the dataset - which there is none - with the actualy report (the report folder of your report.pbix/pbip)

and then you launch the .pbip of that dataset (where you overwrote the report folder).

if that does not work out of the box you should check the following:

The definition .pbir file in the report folder mentions the dataset, make sure this path/name is correctly pointing to the new dataset/has its name

{
"version": "1.0",
"datasetReference": {
"byPath": {
"path": "../Sales Report.Dataset"
},
"byConnection": null
}
}

i hope it is now 100% clear what we are trying to do here.

this .pbip format is nothing else but splitting the .pbix into report and dataset and then you get 2x the whole thing basically

and if we do this to your 2x .pbix files and then somehow put it back together, i would expect it to work.

Hi @Brunner_BI, it finally works. You were 100% right, the problem was the definition.pbir file which has to remain the one present in the dataset.report folder and not the one coming from the report.report folder. In essence we need to copy the report folder from the "report" bet leave the definition.pbir as is. 

Thanks again for your support on this!!

Regards,

C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.