Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Project Web App and Power BI Integration

Hi, 

I'm trying to connect my data from Project Web App iunto Power BI but the error message, "Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the OData source are invalid."

I have copied and pasted the PWA site link direct from the site so there are no typos in the site name and have tried to connect anonymously and with basic credentials (using my site login). 

Additionally, I have a Project Professional 3 license with admin permissions, along with a Power BI Pro license (on 60 day free trial).

failed to connect.JPG 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jingzhang 

I've so far managed to connect to the online webpage version of Power BI, but it won't let me connect the data into the desktop application. Have tried with all options on 'Select which level to apply these settings to' and none of them can authenticate my credentials. 

I have admin priviledges on the PWA site, and additionally I do have access to query the report API under https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData

organizational accountr.JPGCollections api site.JPG

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You may refer to this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/service-connect-to-project-online. This is extracted from the Step 8 in it:

For Authentication Method, select oAuth2 > Sign In. When prompted, enter your Project Web App credentials and follow the authentication process. Note: You need to have Portfolio Viewer, Portfolio Manager, or Administrator permissions for the Project Web App you are connecting to.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Hi, May i know how to assign portfolio viewer, manager and administrator access?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.