Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AndySmith
Helper II
Helper II

Prior Period dependent on Month Slicers

Hi

I have a sales table and a Date Table. I am using a Month Year Slicer.

Would like to calculate the sum of sales for the prior period based on this slicer. So if I have 1 month selected - I want to see the previous month. If I have 2 months selected, I want to sum sales of the previous 2 months. 3 months selected? Guess what? Yep - I want to see sales for the 3 months prior to the selection.

Example: If Sept, Oct, Nov selected in slicer, I want sum of Jun, July, August

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Something like this
you should have a date table

Measure = 
VAR CounMonth = DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Month Number])
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(yourtable[Sales]), DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-CounMonth,MONTH))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

PBI file attached.

Ashish_Mathur_0-1700796124889.pngAshish_Mathur_1-1700796137006.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@AndySmith the solution @Ahmedx provided will work - I missed the dynamic part. Cheers!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

AndySmith
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks!

But I need it to be dynamic - there might be 6 months selected, so I want to see the 6 months prior, or 15 months, so I want to see the 15 months prior

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Something like this
you should have a date table

Measure = 
VAR CounMonth = DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Month Number])
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(yourtable[Sales]), DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-CounMonth,MONTH))

This is perfect. Accepting as solution. Many thanks

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@AndySmith simply do this measure:

Previous Period = 
CALCULATE ( 
   [Your Measure],
   DATEADD ( 'Date Table'[Date], -3, MONTH )
)

Learn more about DATEADD function here:

In depth review of most powerful and flexible DATEADD Time Intelligence function - Part 3 - YouTube 

How PREVIOUS/NEXT (DAY/MONTH/QTR/YEAR) Time Intelligence functions are different from DATEADD-Part 4...

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.