Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Roym
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Query show columns if they match other table

I have currently two tables in my report, below a short example:

Table1:

With columns: Gap name, Linked to issue, status

Table2:

with colimns: Issue name, status

Now what I would like to do in power query is create a new table that shows all the columns from Table1, but only if the column 'Linked to issue'  has exactly the same value as 'Issue name'  in table2. Is that possible? I can filter with measures in the report itself but I would like to merge it at the source right away if possible

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

That will be an 'inner join'.  Left Outer means 'return all the rows from the left table with matching rows from right or null values'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

That will be an 'inner join'.  Left Outer means 'return all the rows from the left table with matching rows from right or null values'

Yes perfect! Thanks! This was easlier then expected, my brain was just not connecting the right dots this time haha

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

This is the exact reason that Merge Queries exists.

That is what I thought as well, but I think I miss something. So when creating a new merged query like below I would like to see all the columns of table 'Issues' only when the Number/Name is the same as in the other table. But when I do it this way I just get a table with all the records of the first table, nothing is filtered.

Capture.PNG

I solved it partially, there was a space at the end of the name in 'linked to created ic issue' so now it shows in this merge editor the correct amount of matches. Only when creating the newly merged table it still shows everything., not only the rows that match

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.