Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

indyb
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI data source from Onedrive Folder. How can other users update?

Hi all, 

Ive tried to search, but could not find a soloution. 

My team have a One Drive shared folder on a shared drive. We use the data in this folder to update various Power BIs we have previously created.

Unfortunately, the Power BI data source filepath is linked to my credential - C:\Users\indyb\Power BI folder - so when my colleagues want to update the pbix, they are unable to as the filepath for the file is linked to me. This will cause issues when I am on leave etc.

Is there a soloution for this where we can keep the file in the shared folder, but anyone can update it? The files are currently linked to various additional tables etc in the current dashboards so would not want this to break.

Many thanks in advance for your help! 

4 REPLIES 4
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

To update the data source (Dataset of the pibx file) a user needs to have access to the file like you. You need to share the dataset with them to get access to it. For that they will need a Power Bi Pro License.

Otherwise, you will need to give them the previlege to open the Pibx file in their Power bi desktop resepectively and update the report. It saves you money but less secure.

Regards   

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

I have the same issue as the original post. All the data source files are shared with me, the pbix file is shared with me, I can open it on my PowerBI Desktop app from the shared folder, but I am not able to update the data because the data source files point to another user's C: drive OneDrive folder. This is an issue as 2 of us need to work on and update this pbix file.

Hi @williamm86 

Personal OneDrive is not accessible with Power BI. You guys need to relocate the sources in a shared OneDrive for business folder or SharePoint.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.