Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

abbas707

Power BI DAX and Optimization

Dear Members,

Need your help related to below questionare. Appreciate it you can provide your experience. Will be a big help!

Describe how you have used DAX in your previous projects. Can you provide an example of a particularly challenging measure or calculation you implemented using DAX?

Describe how do you tune and optimize power bi reports?

Your expert inputs would give me an idea to answer these.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abbas707 ,

I want to validate the valuable input provided by @lbendlin . Their initial thoughts helped guide my approach. However, I noticed that more detail is needed to fully understand the problem.

DAX formulas consist of functions, operators, and values used to perform advanced calculations and queries on data in related tables and columns in the tabular data model. Some functions make complex calculations easier, while others provide new ways of working with data. To use dax in power bi, I would first create table-to-table relationships sensibly to ensure that the data model makes sense, and then create expressions based on requirements, a process that requires attention to context.

More information can refer to the link: Mastering DAX Functions: Your Comprehensive Guide to Power BI Data Analysis | Microsoft Power BI (medium.com)

Row Context and Filter Context in DAX - SQLBI

Optimising Power BI reports involves a variety of strategies focused on improving report performance and user experience. The following are key areas to consider:

1. Optimise the data model: Ensure that the data model is simplified and contains only the necessary columns and tables. Use star schema design principles wherever possible.

2. Reduce visual object complexity: Limit the number of visual objects on the report page. The more visual objects, the more queries that need to be processed, which may reduce report performance.

3. Performance Analyser: Use the Performance Analyser in Power BI Desktop to identify slow-performing visual objects or queries. This tool can help identify areas that need to be optimised.

More detailed information can be found at the link: Power BI Performance Optimization: Make Reports Run Up to 10X Faster (zebrabi.com)

Optimisation guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abbas707 ,

I want to validate the valuable input provided by @lbendlin . Their initial thoughts helped guide my approach. However, I noticed that more detail is needed to fully understand the problem.

DAX formulas consist of functions, operators, and values used to perform advanced calculations and queries on data in related tables and columns in the tabular data model. Some functions make complex calculations easier, while others provide new ways of working with data. To use dax in power bi, I would first create table-to-table relationships sensibly to ensure that the data model makes sense, and then create expressions based on requirements, a process that requires attention to context.

More information can refer to the link: Mastering DAX Functions: Your Comprehensive Guide to Power BI Data Analysis | Microsoft Power BI (medium.com)

Row Context and Filter Context in DAX - SQLBI

Optimising Power BI reports involves a variety of strategies focused on improving report performance and user experience. The following are key areas to consider:

1. Optimise the data model: Ensure that the data model is simplified and contains only the necessary columns and tables. Use star schema design principles wherever possible.

2. Reduce visual object complexity: Limit the number of visual objects on the report page. The more visual objects, the more queries that need to be processed, which may reduce report performance.

3. Performance Analyser: Use the Performance Analyser in Power BI Desktop to identify slow-performing visual objects or queries. This tool can help identify areas that need to be optimised.

More detailed information can be found at the link: Power BI Performance Optimization: Make Reports Run Up to 10X Faster (zebrabi.com)

Optimisation guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.