Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SyCams
Frequent Visitor

Organizing Multiple Calculation Groups

Hey all - I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question regarding calculation groups in a model I've been working on. Any help or confirmation of my assumptions would be awesome.

I have a standard dataset with a sales fact table, a calendar table, and some dimensions which aren't relevant to my question. I've created a calculation group using for year-over-year comparisons in that when I select the field from the group in desktop it adds a 'current year', 'previous year', 'change', and 'chg %'. This works fine and is fantastic.

My question comes when I create a second calculation group functioning similarly but for month-over-month comparisons instead of yearly. It also works fine BUT in the actual report view the 2 groups show as 2 different tables. Functionally I have no issues, but I'd definitely prefer not to have a separate table for e v e r y group I create. I plan on having several and I anticipate them cluttering up the data pane in report view.

Am I missing a crucial aspect when using them? Is it possible to bucket all my calc groups and their respective calc items within a single table in the model similar to a measures table so that myself and the end users don't see 10 different tables with a singular field in them? Google hasn't helped me in the slightest so much so that I can't even find a single instance in which someone has more than 1 group in their model. It makes me believe I'm doing it incorrectly or just being picky about presentation.

TL;DR: I want a TableA with CalcGroup1, CalcGroup2, CalcGroup3, etc INSTEAD of TableA with CalcGroup1, TableB with CalcGroup2, TableC with CalcGroup3. Please tell me I'm stupid and this is easily acheivable or unecessary

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

The calculation group is a table with special characteristics. Having said that you cannot have a table within a table. I hope it helps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SyCams you can have multiple calculation items in one calculation group. Maybe I'm not following your question.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I'd like multiple calculation groups inside one table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.