Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix with different datatypes (picture, number, text)

We have a simple product list on SPO (Sharepoint Online) with this cols:

- titel

- picture (URL)

- property a (text)

- property b (number)

- property c (date)

- property z (Yes/No)

Now i want to show the selected products in a product-matrix!

I unpivot all columns except 'title'

If i change the data-cathegory for the resulting 'Values"-column to 'Image URL' i can see the product picture in the matrix but not the other properties and vice versa.

Is there away to preserve the format/data category of the columns after unpivoting?

Thanks for helping me.

Johannes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ gaj

After my research, you can use sort by function and do these follow my steps like below:

Step 1:

Rename column in Edit Queries

Format: ’decimal number’+’ ’+’title’

I recommend use ‘ as delimiter

For example

1.png

Be care for that there is one ‘ between ’decimal number’ and ’title’

Step 2:

Unpivot columns

Step 3:

Select column Attribute and then click  Add Column->Extract->Text Before Delimiter

2.png

Entry “ click OK

3.png

Step 4:

Change the type of column Text Before Delimiter to Decimal Number and then Click Close&Apply

4.png

Step 5:

Drag fileds into table then select filed Attribute click Modeling->Sort ->Sort by Column -> Text Before Delimiter

5.png

Result:

6.png

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ gaj

After my research, you can use sort by function and do these follow my steps like below:

Step 1:

Rename column in Edit Queries

Format: ’decimal number’+’ ’+’title’

I recommend use ‘ as delimiter

For example

1.png

Be care for that there is one ‘ between ’decimal number’ and ’title’

Step 2:

Unpivot columns

Step 3:

Select column Attribute and then click  Add Column->Extract->Text Before Delimiter

2.png

Entry “ click OK

3.png

Step 4:

Change the type of column Text Before Delimiter to Decimal Number and then Click Close&Apply

4.png

Step 5:

Drag fileds into table then select filed Attribute click Modeling->Sort ->Sort by Column -> Text Before Delimiter

5.png

Result:

6.png

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

Now i have a nother problem with the Images. If I publish the report to a ppublic URL everybody with the URL can see the images.

If I use the report in MS Teams or in SPO in a modern site only the Admin can see the images, also the same in Power BI Webclient and Power BI Windows Client.

I have stored the images in an SPO picture library (because i want to use the rendition-options).

Can you help me?

thx.

Johannes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry,

If I integrate Power BI in SPO on a modern site the images are shown, but not in MS Teams!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

Thank you, works fine Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

My workaround:
unpivot all cols except picture-URL-col (picture is in first row/header)!

matrix.PNG

Is there a way to sort the pivoted cols ? I tryed renaming (1. foo, 2.1 foo.. but after 9 problem!) the cols befor unpivoting.

thx.

Johannes

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ marksappleton

After my research , I'm afraid it couldn't achieve in Power BI for now , Maybe you can try to unpivot all columns except 'title' and  'picture'

and then set the data-cathegory of the column picture  to 'Image URL' individual.

Then drag fileds into matrix.

Result:

7.png

Reference:https://blog.gbrueckl.at/2018/01/storing-images-powerbi-analysis-services-data-models/

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.