Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

skocheta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Lookup table in combination with searching a text string

Hello All,

I am working on Row level security and have to dynamically filter a table based on the user's access to another table, Which gives me a list of Accounts he may have access to.

e.g. 

Here is what I am trying to do:

/*Get list of accounts the user has access to by seraching for the user id in the team hierarchy table (which maintains all accounts the user or his reporting users have access to)*/

var AccountList = SELECTCOLUMNS(
FILTER(
TEAM,
SEARCH(
IF(ISBLANK(
CALCULATE(
VALUES('systemusers'[systemuserid])
,systemusers
,'systemusers'[internalemailaddress]=USERPRINCIPALNAME()
)
),"-----"
,CALCULATE(
VALUES('systemusers'[systemuserid])
,systemusers
,'systemusers'[internalemailaddress]=USERPRINCIPALNAME()
)
)
,TEAM[TEAMUserHierarchy],1,0)>0
)
, "Customer", Team[Customer Name])

/*What we should get above is a Table variable with column name Customer*/

/*Below, I am trying to use the table defined above as a parameter to Concatenate function, but it does not recognize the Variable. Please suggest if I am using the variable in wrong way, This is the first time I am using variable.*/

var result = CONCATENATEX(AccountList,SEARCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(AccountList[Customer],1),OppAcc[Design_Customer],0,1))

//Pattern used from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdHe3z_fVU

RETURN IF(result>0,1,0)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
skocheta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unfortunately none of the proposed solutions worked, I finally ended up changing the approach by adding a reference column to the original table.

Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
skocheta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unfortunately none of the proposed solutions worked, I finally ended up changing the approach by adding a reference column to the original table.

Thanks for all your help.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @skocheta,

As CONCATENATEX function will return a text string, so you cannot use that like the way as yours, you can refer to the online document. Here I suggest you to update your formula like this to have a try.

Column = var result = SEARCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(AccountList[Customer],1),OppAcc[Design_Customer],,0)
return 
if(result>0,1,0)

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello Frank
Thanks for your response.
The reason for using concatenatex was so as to loop over all accountlist and search in the oppacc table.
The issue however is that the formula (both original as well as proposed solution),does not recognise AccountList table.

Is the variable supposed to be used differently? Or var can't be uaed here at all , what are the alternative options

Thanks

Hi @skocheta,

Actually it is the CONCATENATEX function. It will return a string text, in your formula, it is unreasonable to make Comparison with 0.

RETURN IF(result>0,1,0)

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.